Second Skin Audio

Recommended L7 Enclosure and Help

Hey again guys

Im having a bit of a tough time finding an enclosure for Kicker L7. For the most part, i've decided against pre-fab enclosures so im looking to get a semi-custom enclosure made. Heres where the issue comes up.

I have an older Kicker L7 12" square. According to Kicker site, they recommend a maximum of 3.25 cubic vented/ported. With a bit of research ive done, i feel im looking for a 2.5-3.0 cubic vented enclosure tuned to 43hz. Ive called 3 local shops and each one of them said 43hz @ 2.5 cubic is " tuned too high " for my kicker. One shop wouldnt even give me a price to make the enclosure due to a "waste of their time". Wont be going there, thats for sure. The other 2 places quoted me at $250 for the enclosure with my specs. Enclosure size isnt an issue as its going in my SUV, although it cant be more than 15" tall ( so my cover fits still )

So i have two questions:

1) Is 43hz @ 2-3 cubic "too high"? I listen to rap and the girlfriend listens to screamo music ( haha )

2) Whats a reasonable price for an enclosure for this subwoofer? $250 is more than i paid for the sub ( although i did buy it from a friend) and seems way unreasonable. I dont even need anything fancy.

For a test of the kind of HZ i like, i played a HZ bass test song that dropped 5hz every 5 seconds starting from 100hz. I like the sound and feel of the bass between 40 and 45hz which is why i chose 43hz..

Any thoughts/opinions on this shenanigans? 

43hz is super high. I personally tune 28-30hz. as for that price, this is one of those you get what you pay for ordeals. i personally think that $250 is cheap. i don't know the box builder but for me, I wont turn on my table saw for less than $400. you need to consider the time to design the enclosure, prep time, clean up time, and actual work time. 

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

43 Hz is tuned fairly high by most people's standards, that doesn't mean its wrong though.  It depends greatly on the type of music you listen to and how you like your system to sound.  With that being said, its better to error on the low side with tuning.  If possible you might look into having a box made with a removable or adjustable port so you can change the tuning to suite your needs. 

$250 for a box isn't unreasonable for a well designed and built box.  For that price you should expect to get something pretty good though.  Ask to see examples of the builder's previous work. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived