Second Skin Audio

Port Placement

Jhunt94

See the source image

I have a 2017 F150, and I am currently planning on putting two SA-6.5's under the rear seat. The box will be on the passenger of the vehicle. Right now I'm not asking for help on box size, tuning etc. but I am just wanting some input on port placement. I've always seen people talk about porting to the drivers side,  but in this case I'm not sure if it would be best in case I store something under the seat. I can do it any way (forward, passenger side, drivers side), just trying to figure out what would be best. Thanks

2007 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab. Flareside
250 Mechman Alternator
Sky High Car Audio Big 3
XS Power D3400
Rockford Fosgate 1/0 amp kit
Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcp
Rockford Fosgate T400-4
DC Audio Lvl 4 12"
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" component
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6x8
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
SMD Volt Meter

Side fire allows you to have a long port without bends so you can get lowwww without making the build process complex.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

8 minutes ago, WalledSonic said:

Side fire allows you to have a long port without bends so you can get lowwww without making the build process complex.

any particular side?

250 Mechman Alternator
Sky High Car Audio Big 3
XS Power D3400
Rockford Fosgate T400-4
DC Audio Lvl 4 12"
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
SMD Volt Meter

Do you drive alone more often or normally with others in the truck?

Is that a 4 door or a third-door extended cab (looks like 4dr)?

I'd probably load off the passenger side door, but I'm tuned in for other people's opinions.  I'd imagine that loading off the passenger door would sound better to the driver's ear, but I dont know for sure if thats accurate.

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

I would down fire the subs to get a load on the front of the cone and port toward the passenger door if the box is going to be closest to that door, if the box is shifted toward the drivers side then I would port towards the driver side rear door.

DB DRAG PSYCHLONE PRO 156.3 30 SECOND AVERAGE FO MAX AT 26HZ

LEGAL DASH DRIVER DOOR OPEN 158.0@30 HZ

MY BEST SO FAR, HOPEFULLY A 160 COME FEBUARY.

156.9@26hz  158.0@30hz

1 hour ago, WalledSonic said:

Do you drive alone more often or normally with others in the truck?

Is that a 4 door or a third-door extended cab (looks like 4dr)?

I'd probably load off the passenger side door, but I'm tuned in for other people's opinions.  I'd imagine that loading off the passenger door would sound better to the driver's ear, but I dont know for sure if thats accurate.

47 minutes ago, MADVIBES said:

I would down fire the subs to get a load on the front of the cone and port toward the passenger door if the box is going to be closest to that door, if the box is shifted toward the drivers side then I would port towards the driver side rear door.

@WalledSonicIt's a full four door truck, and most of the time it's just me or maybe me and the girlfriend. I didn't really think about that @MADVIBES, I would probably get a little more out of it if I face the subs down. I should be able to do that.

250 Mechman Alternator
Sky High Car Audio Big 3
XS Power D3400
Rockford Fosgate T400-4
DC Audio Lvl 4 12"
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
SMD Volt Meter

1 hour ago, MADVIBES said:

Good info.  For my own knowledge, why would you desire to port on the drivers side door for a small box?  Something about loading the port or reflecting the wave off a wall/door in close proximity??  Perhaps the same reason why a non-sealed-off trunk setup would want to port against the trunklid?

IG @walledsonic

using the side doors is like facing your subs off the back wall of a trunk, it helps with phase issues, ideally you could with a little creativity face both the subs and port towards the rear wall in this set up. make sum magic happen

156.9@26hz  158.0@30hz

also with this size underseat box you can do a 1/4 wave transmission line

156.9@26hz  158.0@30hz

1 hour ago, MADVIBES said:

also with this size underseat box you can do a 1/4 wave transmission line

interesting. I've never attempted to build a transmission line box before

250 Mechman Alternator
Sky High Car Audio Big 3
XS Power D3400
Rockford Fosgate T400-4
DC Audio Lvl 4 12"