7 minutes ago, Broke_Audio_Addict said:

Free market, whats that?

we have crony capatilism here, not a free market.

The guy with the most money to stuff in the politicians pockets wins in this country.

67% of americans have 2 or less choices for isp's in their area, who do you turn to when both of them play these games that they are going to play?

I wonder if that statistic for how many choices people have is only for landline based ISPs?  I live REALLY out in the middle of nowhere and I have 5 different choices for wireless ISPs.  As wireless technologies improve its only going to increase people's options.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

The people saying it is not a big deal do not understand, fundamentally, the problem. Look at the Tier 1 providers first and work out from there. The below article starts to maybe scuff the surface. In 2005-2006 is when a lot of consolidating happened which is step 1 in the clusterfuck that we currently are in. 

https://qz.com/790210/tracing-the-byzantine-maze-of-the-companies-that-have-come-to-control-americas-internet/

A good colliery or example of the issues we will now face is cell phone plans. (which by the way they are pumping over fiber lines so guess what the Tier 1 providers still an issue!) You went from data plans at the advertised speed to plans that were capped, to throttled plans, to voice and data specific, throttled, capped plans. Net Neutrality was one of the things keeping them from adding another level to this which is, audio/video/site specific carve outs for what you are or are not allowed to access. 

At the end of the day the free market cannot adequately affect what is essentially a utility with a monopoly. 

10 minutes ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

I wonder if that statistic for how many choices people have is only for landline based ISPs?  I live REALLY out in the middle of nowhere and I have 5 different choices for wireless ISPs.  As wireless technologies improve its only going to increase people's options.  

thats in part what I am looking to do with Ubiquiti networks products. I live 20 minutes from a major internet backbone but Comcast (who was paid millions by my town to provide fiber service/cable internet serivce) has not done anything for us so I am trying to figure out how to fill that need. But if the fiber lines are coming from a large corporation who decides to say "well we're not going to carry Netflix (dealbreaker for some) or allow traffic over 5mbps and throttle it whenever we want so they HAVE to go with Verizon over your smaller company" I won't be able to do shit about it. 

3 minutes ago, aculous said:

thats in part what I am looking to do with Ubiquiti networks products. I live 20 minutes from a major internet backbone but Comcast (who was paid millions by my town to provide fiber service/cable internet serivce) has not done anything for us so I am trying to figure out how to fill that need. But if the fiber lines are coming from a large corporation who decides to say "well we're not going to carry Netflix (dealbreaker for some) or allow traffic over 5mbps and throttle it whenever we want so they HAVE to go with Verizon over your smaller company" I won't be able to do shit about it. 

I really like Ubiquiti stuff,  I can't believe what you get for the price.   Where I'm at I can't get DSL, but I can get it about 2.5 miles away at some grain bins.  For the past couple years I've been using a point-to-point wireless link to get the DSL to my house.  I switched over to Ubiquiti hardware about a year ago.  I works REALLY well. Before I came back to farm I was a network engineer at a big online retailer, so I can appreciate what the Ubiquiti stuff can do.  I have a friend of mine that runs a whole wireless ISP using all Ubiquiti hardware. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

58 minutes ago, Broke_Audio_Addict said:

Free market, whats that?

we have crony capatilism here, not a free market.

The guy with the most money to stuff in the politicians pockets wins in this country.

67% of americans have 2 or less choices for isp's in their area, who do you turn to when both of them play these games that they are going to play?

Not only do we not have a free market, we have an active monopoly 
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/01/who-wants-competition-big-cable-tries-outlawing-municipal-broadband-in-kansas/

congress stil has a say in this but who knows what they will do.... its gonna create a clusterfuck and what ive been told its going to fuck over small isp businesses ..... either way if congress allowes it to go through only way to protest it is to try to get a mass quantity of people to cancel their service for 6+ months..

washington and newyork already talking about suing the fcc  lol

it just saddens me seeing how the vast majority of the people did not want this to happen, but the government isn't there to serve us anymore. They are there for the corporations. I've always known it, just really sucks watching it happen. 

And yes I agree with CstrokerV, if isp's start screwing us, the only way we can make a difference is speaking with our money. While I would love everyone to come together for mass boycotts if they tried screwing us, I don't know if there would be enough people motivated enough to do it. 

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

my problem is that in my area i have 2 isp.  xfinity (cable) and sudden link (dsl).  well duh cable is way faster.  so they need to also allow any provider it be in any area to allow us to pick a provider like the electric company there are hundreds of them in my area.  

and i call bs on they will be allowed to restrict bandwidth.  they are still doing it now not as bad but they are.  I have the "fastest" one xfinity supplies and I have buffering issues with hardwire connections from my router direct to my tv.  only getting 50 to 70mbps.  when I pay for over 100mbps.  

as for restricting what sites to go to it will be like dish tv.  they dont have channels that cable have. and cable dont have channels that dish has. 

so basically they need to release the monopolies and let anyone get any service.  tired of seeing at&t commercials in my area because I cant fucking get it.   

PPI dbl din
DC Level 3
1.77cubes net tuned to 33htz.
DC audio 2.0k
CT Pro Audio 8" in front, 6.5 in rear

dc_audio.jpg

17 minutes ago, Mr DeeBeez said:

it just saddens me seeing how the vast majority of the people did not want this to happen, but the government isn't there to serve us anymore. They are there for the corporations. I've always known it, just really sucks watching it happen. 

And yes I agree with CstrokerV, if isp's start screwing us, the only way we can make a difference is speaking with our money. While I would love everyone to come together for mass boycotts if they tried screwing us, I don't know if there would be enough people motivated enough to do it. 

yeah will never happen, unless groups get created like a blm type of thing.  and then something might happen.  but sheeple are to ignorant and to affixed to care about it and will just pay more and make the rich richer and the poor poorer kinda crap.  just my $0.02

PPI dbl din
DC Level 3
1.77cubes net tuned to 33htz.
DC audio 2.0k
CT Pro Audio 8" in front, 6.5 in rear

dc_audio.jpg

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived