Android head unit questions

I just recently picked up a pretty mint 2004 Chevy Tahoe with all the bells and whistles, except the previous owner swapped the factory double din head unit for another GM head unit that is not the right one so none of my steering wheel controls work and it doesnt fit right in the dash so it doesnt look the greatest. It also has a CD player that wont read CDs. Not super worried about that but still would like stuff to work.

Now what I am wondering, I am looking to toss that POS in the trash and have been looking at some android head units on ebay and wondering if anyone can recommend a good one as I dont want to buy junk, or should I say, the junkier of the android head units. I do want a cd/dvd player in it and it must have GPS. I notice a lot of them dont have actual GPS in them, and of course bluetooth. Any help would be great. Im not looking to go crazy as im not building a huge sound system in this thing, yet. Famous last words, I know. Also it does have the factory Bose sound system and not sure if anything is needed for that to run properly with an aftermarket head units and also want to be able to use my factory steering wheel controls too and not sure what is needed for that.

Any help or advice would be awesome. Thanks.

I have been eyeballing a Joying unit for my vehicle. Everyone I have spoke to that has one likes it. I know for the FJ Cruiser, you need an adapter to make the steering wheel controls function, so I would imaging the Tahoe would probably need an adapter as well. 

https://www.carjoying.com/head-unit/a-c/chevrolet/chevrolet-tahoe-android-auto-radio-stereo-head-units.html

I know that these units are rootable, so if you like tinkering with Android, this would be ideal. 

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

RF Power T1000 BDCP

RF Punch 400-4

2 P2D4 12's

• 3 weeks later...

I dont know why I wasnt notified of a reply here. Thanks for the input. I have been looking a few of them but there seem to be such mixed reviews right down the middle. I know to retain the OnStar (Even thouhg I dont use it, I would like to retain it) and SWC and all the other junk I will need an adapter. Just trying to decide what direction to go. There wont be any huge crazy system in this thing and I dont want to spend $500+ on a head unit only to do half of what these android ones can do. Plus I do mess around with Androind stuff a lot so there is that too. lol

Archived