Sonic Electronix

Hood liner/Sound deadner

A quick question for those who've lined their hood - primarily for heat or for sound?  I have an old hood liner that is disintegrating in my truck so it got me to thinking about replacing it.  The under hood liners I've seen are all the heat reflective kind which makes sense, but I've never known if it impacts sound quality in any way inside the cab.

4 hours ago, mrclm said:

A quick question for those who've lined their hood - primarily for heat or for sound?  I have an old hood liner that is disintegrating in my truck so it got me to thinking about replacing it.  The under hood liners I've seen are all the heat reflective kind which makes sense, but I've never known if it impacts sound quality in any way inside the cab.

There are different products for under the hood for heat and sound, along with some that can give you both benefits. As you can see on one of Steve's threads he has utilized Thermal Block to deflect heat away from his sweet paint job on the Tahoe a few years back. This product is a heat deflector only and will deflect up to 800 degrees with no issues, it is equipped with a 425 degree self-adhesive PSA backing that will handle engine bay temps just fine as long as it is kept 1" away from any heat source. We also have two options for both sound and heat for use under the hood. The first one is called Heat Wave Pro and is a factory style OEM jute material with double-sided soft foil to reflect heat away. It is super lightweight but does not come with an adhesive backing, you will need to use a high temp spray adhesive. Heat Wave Pro is rated for 265 degrees as long as it is 1" away from any heat source. The final option is called Mega Block which uses Hydrophobic Melamine Foam with a 1,000-degree heat shield on the front. It has a 450 degree self-adhesive PSA backing also, but must be kept 2" away from any heat source. With any one of these 3 options, we would recommend using Damplifier or Damplifier Pro on the cleaned metal first to kill vibration noise. Our American made butyl sound deadening sheets have the highest heat rating in the industry at 450 degrees and will not fail inside of the engine bay. With all hood applications, we recommend using high temp foil tape on the edges to protect the foams and to prolong the life of the hood project. 

We also have a sale coming up this weekend (check out our thread on SMD or check your email box for the SMD email blast) which you can save 20% off all weekend. 

Here is the video of Steve applying our products on his hood of the Tahoe:

Here is a video thread of Hood Project with Mega Block and Damplifier Pro:

Christmas Sale Banner 2017 .jpg

Whether you are restoring a classic muscle car, building an audio system monster, or trying to give yourself a bit of silent luxury on your daily commute, we have a product or combination of products that will help you achieve your goals while saving money and save time. Look around our site, educate yourself and make the choice that is right for you.

Over built to over perform - because user error, bad batch, and faulty install are excuses that other companies use!

468x60.png

Whether you are restoring a classic muscle car, building an audio system monster, or trying to give yourself a bit of silent luxury on your daily commute, we have a product or combination of products that will help you achieve your goals while saving money and save time. Look around our site, educate yourself and make the choice that is right for you.

Over built to over perform - because user error, bad batch, and faulty install are excuses that other companies use!

468x60.png

I did literally just get your email via SMD.  That second truck is kinda what I was thinking in terms of solutions for my truck.  Do you know, did he use the Damplifier first on the Dodge?  My hood is a bit smaller than that one, but I can imagine doing between the bracing for deadening making a sizable difference.

10 hours ago, mrclm said:

I did literally just get your email via SMD.  That second truck is kinda what I was thinking in terms of solutions for my truck.  Do you know, did he use the Damplifier first on the Dodge?  My hood is a bit smaller than that one, but I can imagine doing between the bracing for deadening making a sizable difference.

The Dodge had Spectrum liquid sound deadening applied first. And yes is strengthened up those braces and floppy hood area well. But Damplifier or Damplifier Pro would both be strong enough as well and would not fall off. 

468x60.png

Archived