Sundown Audio

Oil on wires inside amp. Is this safe?

bigpoppahump

Just getting back into car audio after almost 20 years without and I'm clueless when it comes to internals.

I picked up a budget 2k amp for $230 that was shipped from the company that makes the amp. When I got it out of the box, I could see a little spot that looked wet next to one of the vents in the back plate so I took the plate off and found a small puddle of oil on the inside of the plate that lead to the vent and one of the larger wires inside the amp had beads of oil all over it. The rest of the wires (all of them have a clear jacket) looked cloudy and looks like they are turning green in some sections. I understand that budget amps have less tolerances when being manufactured but is this a reason to pay the shipping charges to return the amp? Or should I just wipe the oil away and see how it does?

Few pics

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MDtu0URXKIJs8jbw1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/T5gZTBXkt2BFXZxO2

That green is copper corrosion.  Really bad for a new amp to have corrosion like that. 

Im wondering if the fluid is from a leaky capacitor.  Thats the only item I can think of that has fluid inside an amp.

Send that amp back.  Do you mind sharing the company name?  Red boards mean Chinese (usually, but not always).

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

I don't think it's a cap. Everything else looks good except for some over glued components. Only the one wire is coated in beads of oil and its the whole wire, nothing else. The puddle that was on the inside of the back plate is where that one wire rests on the plate.

I'm wondering if you can recondition old wire by soaking it in oil, or at least hide some of the corrosion, and the other 4 wires in the amp didn't get the treatment...

From doing a bit more reading up on this company I'm finding a lot of information. It's a skar rp-2000.1d. I was after a cab 1600 but none were available for purchase with my amazon gift card at the time so i went with this. I'll be sending it back, thank you for your input.

• 1 month later...

Well you and me both man I just got the same amp not even a week and same exact condition that you describe I never noticed the liquid till last night when it went into protect, you should see the solder work on the back side I noticed the main power line looked loose on the solder joint so I was going to repair it myself and save time and not waste a week or two shipping out Chinese garbage just for another replica of the same crap,then I saw the solder work on the baord after removing it from the heat sink and it looks refurbished as if someone tried to re solder it and failed I didn't order mine from them direct but looks like I'm out 220$ if I don't get it fixed myself if it lasts and it's not a leaky capacitor it could be the over use of flux as well   ,not even gonna bother with the company as I read some pretty bad reviews on other forums in terms of warranty and customers being scammed and we got scammed from the looks of it.i posted a few pics as well so u can see how the solder joints look.

IMG_20180204_102045.jpg

IMG_20180204_102301.jpg

Archived