Sundown Audio

Certified vs uncertified vs dynamic

akuma4u

Maybe using this video played on your phone through BT or aux would give you an example of what to listen for? Probably would have to play it that loud either.

I would trust it if it's a reputable brand.

IMO the benefit gained from trying to get a few more watts by trying to use dyno numbers would be negligible to the ear in a mobile environment.

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

3 hours ago, mathewyocham said:

You cannot properly set gains with a dmm. If u dont have an o scope or dd1 u might as well be setting it by ear.

Just curious..if you cant set gain by dmm method..why does jl audio and other companies recommend amd explain how to do it? Also..id love to see someone set by dmm with the same db test tone and then set by oscope and set by dd1 all with same test tone and see how far off the each method is from one another.. Im betting they will all be very close in range from one another. Like for example they all end up being around 12 oclock position minus a pinch here or there for each method..  Id be suprised if they are all very off from one another like 12 oclock 1oclock 2clock...

Im sure someone has done this experiement already..

I trust the DD-1. Bought one years ago when they first came out. I knew it would be THE tool for setting up systems, Well worth the $150. I have a shit ton of money in systems so whats another $150.

4 hours ago, akuma4u said:

Just curious..if you cant set gain by dmm method..why does jl audio and other companies recommend amd explain how to do it? Also..id love to see someone set by dmm with the same db test tone and then set by oscope and set by dd1 all with same test tone and see how far off the each method is from one another.. Im betting they will all be very close in range from one another. Like for example they all end up being around 12 oclock position minus a pinch here or there for each method..  Id be suprised if they are all very off from one another like 12 oclock 1oclock 2clock...

Im sure someone has done this experiement already..

they won't be anywhere near each other.  You simply cannot use a DMM to set gains.  You can guess and get just as good of results (wrong). Don't forget, it isn't just about "my 3,000 watt amp will put out 3,000 watts if i use this formula".  You need to know when the head unit is distorting or at the very least, clipping.  Then you need to know if or when any crossovers or EQ's (or otherwise processor) in the chain before the amp itself it clipping or distorting.   If you don't know any of that, you are wasting your time.  Good luck doing that with your ears at the pre-amp  (RCA) level.  Good luck doing that without an O-scope in the very least.  That whole "turn your head unit up 3/4 of the way" thing is such bullshit LOL! That bass knob you love? Oh ya, you will need to know when that is distorting or clipping. Then you have gain overlaps.  Again, good luck doing that with a DMM or the ear-o-meter.  

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

A dd1 or oscope goes off distortion. Sure u can set it with dmm and it may only b a little off but that little could be causing lots of distortion wich could cause equipment failure.

2 hours ago, meade916 said:

they won't be anywhere near each other.  You simply cannot use a DMM to set gains.  You can guess and get just as good of results (wrong). Don't forget, it isn't just about "my 3,000 watt amp will put out 3,000 watts if i use this formula".  You need to know when the head unit is distorting or at the very least, clipping.  Then you need to know if or when any crossovers or EQ's (or otherwise processor) in the chain before the amp itself it clipping or distorting.   If you don't know any of that, you are wasting your time.  Good luck doing that with your ears at the pre-amp  (RCA) level.  Good luck doing that without an O-scope in the very least.  That whole "turn your head unit up 3/4 of the way" thing is such bullshit LOL! That bass knob you love? Oh ya, you will need to know when that is distorting or clipping. Then you have gain overlaps.  Again, good luck doing that with a DMM or the ear-o-meter.  

With the dd1 i can find out what volume my deck clips t then once i know that i set my amp gains to that vokume...right? So if my deck plays clean till 38 out of 40 then i set the mono amp gain at 38. Versus the 3/4 volume rule. I was told by some that the benefit of setting gin at 3/4 volume over the max volume before clipping is that the 3/4 method will allow me more headroom for poorly recorded and/or low volume tracks

You use the DD-1 on the rca out's of the source to finds it's max clean level, then on the speaker outs of your amps to set the gain to a clean max level.

That's what i did, hope i read the manual right LOL! reading comprehension isn't my strongest suit.

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

13 minutes ago, Markous said:

You use the DD-1 on the rca out's of the source to finds it's max clean level, then on the speaker outs of your amps to set the gain to a clean max level.

That's what i did, hope i read the manual right LOL! reading comprehension isn't my strongest suit.

That sounds right but then again i dont own the device so i shouldnt even be saying anything. Question however..if you set your gain to the decks max clean level..what do u do when a track that is recorded on low volume comes on or that has a bassline thats like 14db? For those tracks you would want to pump the volume up more but since you are already near max volume on the deck (some decks can go 50 out of 50) you wont be able to amd they will forever remain soft.

Archived