Dayton SPA250 vs Yung SD300 Plate Amplifiers

Not exactly a direct comparison, but I decided to try both amps to replace the non-working 75-watt amp on my Boston Acoustics CR400 subwoofer. The 300 watt Yung SD300 is actually the cheaper of the two amps, yet rated to be the most powerful. It is a Class D design and has an open back. Will this cause problems if mounted inside a subwoofer enclosure, due to vibration? Only time will tell.

I also purchased the Class A/B Dayton Audio SPA250 to try out. This amp is rated 252 watts at 4 ohms with less than 1% THD. This is a VERY popular plate amplifier on Parts Express with nearly 5 star average with well over 200 reviews. 

You may be asking...why 250 or 300 watts to replace a 75 watt amp? Well, because I can? Honestly, I wanted to choose popular models and have flexibility to use them in different applications in the future. Plus, I thought you guys would want to see these models tested, so I did this for you!

Full disclosure: Amplifiers were purchased by me for the purpose of this test. All of the opinions in this video are my own and the content wasn't reviewed by anyone prior to posting. 

Watch on YouTube in 4k HD

or embedded below:

See my videos on YouTube http://www.willistonaudio.com  Many tests and demos of OLD and NEW SCHOOL car audio gear!

See cool pics on Instagram @oldschoolstereo

Thanks Big D, I have always liked the Dayton products.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Thanks for the review Big D!!

I've had a couple of the Dayton SPA250 plate amps.  They certainly make good power, but I've had some reliability issues with mine.  One of them has crapped out on me twice.  The first time it was replaced under warranty, but the second time it was out of warranty and could not be repaired.  I was just out that time.  My other one works pretty well, but the auto turn on feature no longer works, so I just leave it on all the time.  At the point I wouldn't buy another SPA250 and would probably go with the Yung SD300 amp.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

On 1/11/2018 at 3:19 PM, Triticum Agricolam said:

Thanks for the review Big D!!

I've had a couple of the Dayton SPA250 plate amps.  They certainly make good power, but I've had some reliability issues with mine.  One of them has crapped out on me twice.  The first time it was replaced under warranty, but the second time it was out of warranty and could not be repaired.  I was just out that time.  My other one works pretty well, but the auto turn on feature no longer works, so I just leave it on all the time.  At the point I wouldn't buy another SPA250 and would probably go with the Yung SD300 amp.  

Thanks for the feedback! I want to try the BASH amps too, may get the 500 watt version.

See my videos on YouTube http://www.willistonaudio.com  Many tests and demos of OLD and NEW SCHOOL car audio gear!

See cool pics on Instagram @oldschoolstereo

55 minutes ago, BigDWiz said:

Thanks for the feedback! I want to try the BASH amps too, may get the 500 watt version.

That would be cool, I'd be interested to see the results.  Those amps would be more appealing if they weren't in the price range where you can get a more powerful Behringer iNuke.  Sometimes a plate amp is just a better solution though. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived