I'm looking to start building a battery bank since I bought a crescendo bc5500 recently and won't be able to use it for a while. So far all I have done is the big 3 in my vehicle with the stock alt and added two extra batteries. Some walmart battery a friend gave me and an xs power xp750. They power a Skar rp-75.4 and an audiopipe apdl2001d "2krms". I have two crescendo symphony sc-650 6.5" component sets and two sundown x15 v.2's in a custom box tuned to 32 hz. The goal is to eventually have a c1100.4 power two 6.5"s, three tweets, and one 8" fiberglassed in both front doors with three x15s walled off on the bc5500. I want to replace the stock battery and have at least 4 batteries in the back. Just not sure of which batteries to get. I was hoping to not have to spend upwards of 400$ per battery. I'm still a car audio newb so I went to the xspower website and typed 7500 watts in the audio calculator and it told me one d7500 and three xp2500s would be sufficient. Thoughts?? I'll post some pics / more info soon

XS power isnt the only battery option. I have gone with brand new deka 9a31's (ones with top posts) that are like 220 and had great success. Die hard platinum marine batteries also work well and are about that as well. They don't have the same level of performance as XS, but do great for the money. 

In the end, it looks like 6500-7000w range, so probably 3-4 batteries in the rear (group 31's) and one in the stock stock location, and you WILL need a high output alternator 250a+. Other wise you will want like 6+ batteries, and your alt probably wont last very long anyway (will overheat trying to charge that many batteries underload eventually).

One of the most expensive things in car audio is electrical, do it right and do it once, and you shouldnt have to touch it for years. 

edit: charging is KING, takes power to make power, and if you don't invest in a good alt, you will be bottle necking your system unless you have a huge bank of batteries.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Hey thanks for the reply man. I suppose since I see a majority of enthusiasts running xs power batteries it seems like a safe option. Guess I was more wondering about the less expensive xs power batteries. The xp2500s to be more specific. It seems everyone uses either the d3100s or the lithium. Since I don't have a high output alt and am only running less than 2500 watts right now, I figured it wouldn't hurt to buy at least one battery to replace the wet cell, then the alternator and so on. The main focus is longevity and performance, so I wouldn't mind spending a little extra on batteries that will last. Plus I gotta be honest they are some great looking batteries and fit the design aesthetic I was going for lol

think you could you post some pics of the batteries you run?

on a side note, I know that you should charge your battery bank every once in a while (besides running the car) is there a general rule of thumb for when to just plug it in?

I would also consider northstar. They have great batteries and there are a lot of test that proves it. 

First thing I would do get rid of the wet cell and replace it with a direct fit agm from xs or northstar. 

I see you have a xp750. These little batteries are cool but I replaced ten 20ah agms with two agm group 31s and the performance difference was so drastic. In my experience, it's better to run a few larger batteries as opposed to a bunch of smaller batteries. You didn't say you were considering it I'm just throwing it out there since you do have an xp750 and they can be had cheaply. 

If you did what that xs power calculator said, you'd be spending around $1400 on batteries.

With that amount of money you could do a limitless lithium 45ah and then put a good agm up front.

That would be more than enough for a single bc5500. 

Also I'd reconsider just running that 1100.4 for two 8's, four 6.5s and six tweets. 

2008 VW Jetta

Team Fi 12 

CT 4000.1

CT 125.4

PWX 6.5

80 PRS

EB Flex 2/0

Second Skin

^^^ Build ^^^

Throw it on the charger once every month or two, and you should be fine if it is daily driven. 

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/

4 hours ago, Mitchaford said:

I would also consider northstar. They have great batteries and there are a lot of test that proves it. 

First thing I would do get rid of the wet cell and replace it with a direct fit agm from xs or northstar. 

I see you have a xp750. These little batteries are cool but I replaced ten 20ah agms with two agm group 31s and the performance difference was so drastic. In my experience, it's better to run a few larger batteries as opposed to a bunch of smaller batteries. You didn't say you were considering it I'm just throwing it out there since you do have an xp750 and they can be had cheaply. 

If you did what that xs power calculator said, you'd be spending around $1400 on batteries.

With that amount of money you could do a limitless lithium 45ah and then put a good agm up front.

That would be more than enough for a single bc5500. 

Also I'd reconsider just running that 1100.4 for two 8's, four 6.5s and six tweets. 

I've definitely seen North star batteries around, just not as much as xs and I haven't really done a whole lot of research on them. Will definitely look more into them though. They make the larger agm cells right?

As for the xp750, the plan was to use it for the skar 75.4 until I can get the bigger amps hooked up, then sell them both along with the 2k amp. Wasn't really thinking about banking several of them. I did consider saving up to buy just a single big lithium battery, but my problem with that is it's not really going to help me right now. I know those amps aren't pushing anywhere near rated power with the current electrical that I have. Do you think it would be more worthwhile to just replace the battery under the hood and wait till I can afford a big lithium battery? As opposed to buying a battery here and there whenever I can afford it

I don't really know a whole lot about 2 channel / 4 channel amps either tbh. The four 6.5s and four tweets would be the two symphony component sets with the crossovers nd then the other two 8s and tweets would be the pwx mids and possibly ft1 super tweeters. Already have the components, but don't have the rest. So if not just a 1100.4, what would you recommend to run that setup? Crescendo wise

1 hour ago, Twonnie said:

I've definitely seen North star batteries around, just not as much as xs and I haven't really done a whole lot of research on them. Will definitely look more into them though. They make the larger agm cells right?

As for the xp750, the plan was to use it for the skar 75.4 until I can get the bigger amps hooked up, then sell them both along with the 2k amp. Wasn't really thinking about banking several of them. I did consider saving up to buy just a single big lithium battery, but my problem with that is it's not really going to help me right now. I know those amps aren't pushing anywhere near rated power with the current electrical that I have. Do you think it would be more worthwhile to just replace the battery under the hood and wait till I can afford a big lithium battery? As opposed to buying a battery here and there whenever I can afford it

I don't really know a whole lot about 2 channel / 4 channel amps either tbh. The four 6.5s and four tweets would be the two symphony component sets with the crossovers nd then the other two 8s and tweets would be the pwx mids and possibly ft1 super tweeters. Already have the components, but don't have the rest. So if not just a 1100.4, what would you recommend to run that setup? Crescendo wise

Others may disagree but its called the starter battery for a reason. 

You want that one to be on par with the rest or better. Kinda how my battery bank is made up of kinetik batteries but my starter is XS. Not hating on kinetik but XS has proved themselves over kinetik. 

Northstar makes a lot of different batteries. Take a look at GP CarAudio, they are a dealer and have a good selection on their site. 

For that mids/highs setup, I would at least do separate amps for the mids and the highs. 

Depends on the power levels but you could do a single 1100.4 and run the four 6.5s on two channels and the 8s on two channels. Then just have an amp for the tweeters. 

Right now, If you're going to be putting all your equipment in that vehicle then I would do the upgrades that would be actually beneficial now (electrical) and then just stack up the items that you can't use until later. 

If you have time then just look for deals on the equipment you want. 

As for the charging, you'll want to get a good charger. Genuis makes good ones. XS does aswell if you want to stick with that trend. 

2008 VW Jetta

Team Fi 12 

CT 4000.1

CT 125.4

PWX 6.5

80 PRS

EB Flex 2/0

Second Skin

^^^ Build ^^^

9 hours ago, Mitchaford said:

You want that one to be on par with the rest or better. Kinda how my battery bank is made up of kinetik batteries but my starter is XS. Not hating on kinetik but XS has proved themselves over kinetik. 

Northstar makes a lot of different batteries. Take a look at GP CarAudio, they are a dealer and have a good selection on their site. 

For that mids/highs setup, I would at least do separate amps for the mids and the highs. 

Depends on the power levels but you could do a single 1100.4 and run the four 6.5s on two channels and the 8s on two channels. Then just have an amp for the tweeters. 

Right now, If you're going to be putting all your equipment in that vehicle then I would do the upgrades that would be actually beneficial now (electrical) and then just stack up the items that you can't use until later. 

As for the charging, you'll want to get a good charger. Genuis makes good ones. XS does aswell if you want to stick with that trend. 

IF they are all connected together, that XS isnt doing the "Starting", the whole bank is. You could have nothing in the starter location if you wanted to and it would still start if all OEM wires are still connected to the rear bank (if the stock location was just a distro set up). 

OP, as a rule of thumb, you just want the starter to be on par and the same composition as the bank (if bank is AGM, generally most want a AGM for the starter).

On 1/12/2018 at 3:00 AM, Mitchaford said:

I think the next thing I'm going to do is replace the battery under the hood with something like a d7500, that should be enough to power 2,500 watts plus the car alone right? Might not be too good on the stock alternator, but since I don't even crank it up very high atm I think it should be fine till I can get a HO alt. Just run what I have on that and start saving up for a big lithium battery. I've heard of jy, limitless, and obviously xs lithium. If I'm going to be spending 1,200$+ on batteries I think I might as well just get one big lithium cell. Would help with the weight too. What lithium battery would you recommend over any other? It's kind of hard to find really helpful information other than the company sites. 

For the charging of my electrical right now, I've just been using 25$ trickle chargers if I notice my headlight dimming worse and worse. It takes about a solid day and a half to charge, but it does the job. I didn't know that you have to make sure the charger is compatible with agms before you stick it on one so I haven't plugged it in for a while. Someone in a YouTube video actually brought that to my attention. For a charger though I wouldn't really care what brand it is, as long as it can charge the vehicle without damaging anything.

The mids and highs amps will probably be the next thing after getting my electrical up to par. I could probably get the 1100.4 and run it how you said with the 6.5s and 8s, then run the tweets with the skar 75.4 till I can replace it? Might even try to figure out a way to cram more speakers into the doors if I can lol

Archived