Sundown Audio

CT sounds AT7000.1d up in smoke

BMS

So my AT7000.1d went up in smoke one of the capacitors blew and the liquid sprayed all over im assuming that the gray smoke was the liquid hitting hot components on the inside. it is one of the 12 in the 2 banks near the center of the amp. there are 4 more caps total that are bubbled in both banks. I was running at .75 ohm on 6 12's rated 2000wrms each.  i didn't feel i was pushing it crazy hard but i'm new to this and i'm not sure if i would hear distortion or not in this set up. The amp wasn't even hardly warm and when it blew the amp was at idle for 30 or so seconds. I did notice a weird smell from the amp whenever i pulled a good bit of power it smelled, but it kept getting better like it was just burning something off of a component like maybe some extra glue. I know this will sound weird but it smelled like hot garbage, but it smelled different when it blew up. anyway maybe i don't have enough power causing the capacitor's charge cycle to be longer due to voltage drop making them hot but i never saw my meter drop below 13.1v (not a multi meter the voltage on the bass knob)  i have 2 agm batteries and an smsagm480 battery. 4\0 ofc and 1\0 ofc. 320  amp alternator and 233 farad external capacitor bank. The amp was repaird by a third party before. any ideas \ things to check. I do notice from the pic that in my amp one of the output wire instead of running threw the center of the 2 cap banks like the pic it runs directly over the caps.Image result for at7000.1d guts

Where was it mounted?

VM-1

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Hertz HSK 165XL

Arc Audio KS 300.2

Linear Power 1002 Full Mods

Fi Audio Q 10s

Sundown Audio Scv 3000

Big 3

XS Power D5100 Juice Box 20AH

Singer Alternator

Sky High Wire

<p>My Ebay feedback. http://feedback.ebay...tab=AllFeedback

Yeah there aren't any screws in the center of the board I didn't know that when I bought it. The amp was mounted to a fairly standard amp rack made of pine and birch with cooling fans. It has a single large bolt in the corner so theoretically it isn't like it's bolted solid to the vehical but it also isn't just straight up independent either. It was mounted right side up with three inches Clarence for the internal fans.

Made in China like every other CT Sounds amps (claimed to be Korean).

No pc-b supports in any of their amps, and the boards are literately being held in place by the mosfets (which mosfet legs break very easily from vibration when the boards are not secured).
Dealer price on those amps was like $400 iirc insanely cheap, but from the reliability and quality control side of things that was not cheap enough.

You should honestly be happy its survived this many years.

I only used it for 2 days. And while I do agree that it is pretty shitty they must have.changed this in their new amps right. Think it should be fine if the caps are replaced and it is cleaned out. at least fine as it was before. Thinking of getting a banda viking 15000 for daily any objections? Do i need more batteries now i can use a multi meter and find out when the system is running but as of now i can only assume it will need more.

Archived