Sundown Audio

** RCA's **

Nightmare9400

Quality RCA cables are a huge need. Something I use to always overlook.

By quality I dont mean the most expensive, because lets face it theres some audiophile guys out there that will buy RCA cables that cost 50 grand...

But a good cable is a must, not some chincy tiny gauge wires.

Small gauge wires, with piss poor connections to the plug makes resistance which only gets multiplied the longer the RCA cables are.

So if you have a 16-21 foot cheap RCA cable chances are you will lose a lot of your headunits preout voltage at the other end of your cables where you plug them into your amp.
So if your radio has 4volt preouts, you'll be lucky to get 3 volts of said preout at the end of the cables. 

Does this really matter? Yes and no... You can always turn the amps gain up to properly match your headunits voltage even after the signal has degraded, but then you risk introducing more noise into the system, and of coarse those cheap cables probably have cheap shielding as well which can introduce more noise or amplify it ten fold...

What too look for imo:

I prefer to like the Co-axle cable type caples myself, but twisteds can be alright if made properly too.

The cables should be soldered with silver solder not regular 60/40 rosin core solder.

The ends should be nice and solid and offer strain relief for the cable, and have a solid hold when you plug them in.

SMD rca cables are great, its what Im currently using. SounDrive cables are great lots of happy customers. Id venture to say the droppinhz cables are decent because they are a spitting image of theSounDrive cables, but I never tested their resistance, however same components you should be good.
I personally dont trust any cable made by any manufacture any more, they are all made in China as cheap as can be and Ive seen so many quality high end cables fail just from being ran through a vehicle.

Now here I will put the nail in the coffin...

Watch the entire video, its a little under 5 minutes long, but will open your eyes about cheap cables.

I have 3 sets of cables Im testing to see which have the least resistance. 

A NEW Certified Bassheads 1.5 foot cable, a USED SMD 3 foot cable, and a USED SMD 6 foot cable.
Naturally the shorter the cable the less resistance it should have right??? I mean thats ohms law...
So then why are used cables that are 2 and 4 times the length having a lessor resistance than the shortest cables test???

Simple answer: Cheap China cables made as cheaply as possible with cheap wire, cheap ends, and cheap construction!

You know you’re getting some good shit with SMD/D’Amore RCA’s when they are individually tested

85DE233B-FCCB-467B-B45E-34CAA9E8C083_zps

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

5 hours ago, Markous said:

You know you’re getting some good shit with SMD/D’Amore RCA’s when they are individually tested

85DE233B-FCCB-467B-B45E-34CAA9E8C083_zps

Hmm. When I bought my SMD cables they didn't come with that...

Sitting around waiting to be installed:

4 FI X 10

270 CES alt

D3400/73ah lithium

AA 3800.1

(2) AA 75.4

8 minutes ago, Wishuponasub said:

Hmm. When I bought my SMD cables they didn't come with that...

That was about 4 years ago i bought them direct from Tony IIRC, when did you buy yours?

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

Archived