Sundown Audio

Fine at 2ohms but clipping at 1ohm?

akuma4u

Question: since i dont have the dd1 or a scope, i used the dmm method to set gain. Using target voltage of 44.72 @ 2ohms for 1000rms i set the gain for the sa 12. It worked out nicely and sub sounded great and no clipping at all on my bass knob (it has a clip light indicator) even if i used loudness on mid level it still didnt cause clipping light to come on. Now for the brand new reconed zv3 i wanted to use 2000rms @ 1ohm..target voltage still comes out to 44.72. So in this instance i didnt need to touch the gain dial i left it as it is. However..clipping indicator light is flickering at higher volumes. Why? Is it cuz i went from 2ohm to 1ohm? As 2 ohm is more stable and 1ohm isnt? Or is it cuz the sub isnt broken in yet?  Only way to get clipping light to not come on is to lower gain quite a bit. To the point it doesnt even sound good.. What is the solution to this issue?

And before u tell me dmm method sucks. Im aware dmm method isnt the best. But its all i got right now until i can get better tools...

So even tho the target voltage is same for 1 ohm and  2 ohm..since 1ohm wiring pulls 2000 and 2 ohm pulls 1000..there is double draw hence why it is causing the clipping..

Ill try decreasing the voltage to 1500rms at 1ohm and see what happens if it eases up on the clipping or not

Also regarding the clipping indicator ..its flickering. But not staying solid..is this ok or should it not come on at all

2 hours ago, akuma4u said:

Also regarding the clipping indicator ..its flickering. But not staying solid..is this ok or should it not come on at all

Light occasional flickering is ok, constant red bad..

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

1 hour ago, bcbrassard said:

Could it be producing a dirty signal at 1 ohm vs 2 ohm? The amp that is.

Perhaps but..majority of people run this amp at 1ohm so..it sholdnt be that dirty. I did some research and i found some people say that when its flickering thats actually a good sign like that means u r playing to clipping. But if it doesnt flicker at all that means there is room for more gain. But if its staying solid red or orange more than green then thats hard clipping and thats bad.. This was a user who has using a diffetent amp brand however so i dont know if this theory is true for all brands or if its specific to only his...

Any clipping is bad... the end.

Anyone that says otherwise doesnt really understand how a clean sinewave works.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

Archived