Sundown Audio

is it safe to wire each voice coil individually to mono amp?

akuma4u

sorry for the noobness of this question but im learning so..

i have a single d2 sub.. i usually wire it at 1ohm to give it 2000rms but i cant seem to escape the clipping indicator light going crazy..even if i set the gain super low.. almost low enough that the bass is so weak.. still it will flash a little here and there. Conversely, when i run a different sub at 2 ohms and 1000-1300rms.. even at super loud volume.. even if i have the loudness on mid level.. the clipping light never comes on. SO.. my theory is that my electrical just isnt strong enough to handle a 1ohm 2000rms load..

SO.. what i want to do with the d2 sub is wire it up so that each voice coil is wired to the mono amp. My amp has 4 speaker inputs -- and ++ but its a mono amp. So i can wire one voice coil to one - and + and the other voice coil to the other - and + and that should make a final load of 2 ohm.. i think...maybe someone can confirm this for me

is this safe to do?

THANKS

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will still be a final load of 1ohm,

those connections are paralled inside the amp, they are just there for ease of wiring.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

thanks for the response.. damn.. looks like i gotta downgrade my amp to 1500rms at 1 ohm , or get a more efficient amp that draws less amps/current at  1 ohm

you guys know any mono amps that can do 1700-2000rms range at 1 ohm but runs very efficient, pulls low current/amps and isnt so power hungry? (dont even know if something like that exists..)

The RF Power 1500 BDCP would be my suggestion, but my bias is with RF. According to RF's site, the 1500 will do just over 1700 @ 1 ohm dynamic with 63% efficiency with an average current draw of 100 amps.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/t1500-1bdcp/

I can personally speak for the Power 1000 as I am pushing two 12's with it and I have nothing but awesomeness to say when referring to this amp. I am currently running it at 4 ohm because my 12's are rated at 400 watt RMS and the birthsheet on this amp says just over 1500 watts at 1 ohm. I am not looking to nuke my 12's down just yet. 

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

RF Power T1000 BDCP

RF Punch 400-4

2 P2D4 12's

1 minute ago, PC Principal said:

The RF Power 1500 BDCP would be my suggestion, but my bias is with RF. According to RF's site, the 1500 will do just over 1700 @ 1 ohm dynamic with 63% efficiency with an average current draw of 100 amps.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/t1500-1bdcp/

I can personally speak for the Power 1000 as I am pushing two 12's with it and I have nothing but awesomeness to say when referring to this amp. I am currently running it at 4 ohm because my 12's are rated at 400 watt RMS and the birthsheet on this amp says just over 1500 watts at 1 ohm. I am not looking to nuke my 12's down just yet. 

i was told about this amp as well by another member a lil while ago but damn its pricey and somewhat hard to find.. i was looking into the sundown scv 1500d but not sure how many amps it draws at 1 ohm

Why not spend the money on upgrading your electrical rather than buying a new amp? What amp do you currently have?

2007 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab. Flareside
250 Mechman Alternator
Sky High Car Audio Big 3
XS Power D3400
Rockford Fosgate 1/0 amp kit
Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcp
Rockford Fosgate T400-4
DC Audio Lvl 4 12"
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" component
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6x8
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
SMD Volt Meter

I have a messed up bc2000 and a brand new hifonics brx2400. I have 2 agms. 0g all around. Big 2 out of big 3 done. I will complete the big 3 when i can find someone willing to do wiring and pull out my alternator. But not sure if that will stop the clipping. Thats the end of the upgrades i can perform on my car. Unless i add a 3rd agm but kinda pointless...

I know what u r thinking..what about a performance alternator..well..im shit out of luck. No one makes one for my car..i tried for months to find one but not for my make and model

I have a question..if u have the same amp and u r doing 1000rms at 2 ohm and 1000rms at 1 ohm..will the current draw be the same or will the 1ohm current draw still be higher since its 1ohm?

If 1000 at 1ohm will drae more current then maybe i should be looking for an amp that does 1500 to 2000rns at 2ohms instead...

Archived