Sundown Audio

is it safe to wire each voice coil individually to mono amp?

akuma4u

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, akuma4u said:

Now..for the good news

Gp audio has a 200 and 250amp alt for my car! 

I'm not sure I'd call that good news........

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

32 minutes ago, mathewyocham said:

Its because u keep tuning with a dmm. U need a dd1 or oscope to tune it distortion free. Clipping is distortion.

i tuned by dmm first,.. then by ear.. then i turned the gain so low that the bass was pretty weak.. so weak that it was not even close to what it sounded like at 2ohm running 1000rms .. and STILL clipping light was going off.. no matter what i do i cant get the clipping light to stop flickering only when its running at 1 ohm. When its running at 2 ohms its opposite.. obviously im no expert but i feel its just too much current draw or load on my electrical when im running 1 ohm ..  maybe my electrical can only handle around 1000-1200rms and nothing more ..

5 hours ago, akuma4u said:

pls explain what you mean by that..

GP isn't very popular here

Just a matter of opinion most likely. 

5 hours ago, akuma4u said:

i tuned by dmm first,.. then by ear.. then i turned the gain so low that the bass was pretty weak.. so weak that it was not even close to what it sounded like at 2ohm running 1000rms .. and STILL clipping light was going off.. no matter what i do i cant get the clipping light to stop flickering only when its running at 1 ohm. When its running at 2 ohms its opposite.. obviously im no expert but i feel its just too much current draw or load on my electrical when im running 1 ohm ..  maybe my electrical can only handle around 1000-1200rms and nothing more ..

If you're only going off the clip indicator on the knob then I'll go ahead and tell you now, its not super accurate. 

What is the headunit you're using? 

Are you monitoring your voltage while you play music? 

I definitely think you should upgrade you're electrical but I just think there is another issue because a weak electrical is easy to blame.

Could also be your box. 

2008 VW Jetta

Team Fi 12 

CT 4000.1

CT 125.4

PWX 6.5

80 PRS

EB Flex 2/0

Second Skin

^^^ Build ^^^

14 minutes ago, Mitchaford said:

GP isn't very popular here

Just a matter of opinion most likely. 

If you're only going off the clip indicator on the knob then I'll go ahead and tell you now, its not super accurate. 

What is the headunit you're using? 

Are you monitoring your voltage while you play music? 

I definitely think you should upgrade you're electrical but I just think there is another issue because a weak electrical is easy to blame.

Could also be your box. 

before i make a decision on GP , i need real reasons why to avoid them.. i did some light research and found several people show great dislike and some even hatred towards GP and a guy named dom i think IIRC.. but i need to know what it is about GP.. is the product crap? does it break down early? bad customer service? not as advertised?  if its ONLY a matter of opinion without any real reason then that confuses me.. if the product does what it says it does and the customer service is decent and the product lasts then its a good company in my book. I need someone to chime in and tell me exactly why GP is bad or should be avoided... you can PM me if u dont want to talk shit in a public forum about their company, im ok with that.

I am using a pioneer double din avh4800bt 4 volt hu

i constantly monitor voltage,. voltage while driving will stay in the range of 13.6 to 14v .. if idling it can drop to 13 but i try not to blast beats when idling anyways..

i have heard some clip indicators are not accurate or go off prematurely but then ive heard and seen a youtube test where a clip indicator on a bass knob started going off the exact same time the red dot started flashing on the DD1..

interesting note: when running 2 ohm,. my voltage can go into the mid 13s as well , just as it does with 1 ohm but at 2 ohms the clipping light doesnt go off at all while at 1 ohm it does..

finally.. the box.. the box is small and way too little port area and the magnet of the sub is basically blocking 80-90% of the port entrance from the inside of the box. and its a super stiff sub waiting still to be broken in.. btw this is just a temp box as im waiting for a new one to get made. I am confused tho how a box could cause clipping? so if u can, please explain that to me.

note: when i am running 2 ohms im using an sa 12 in a near perfect box for that sub.. when i am running 1 ohm im using a zv3/zv4 crossbreed sub in the same sa12 box but its not the proper box for that sub..

Takes power to make power,idk how good GP is but I was limited on choices a swell ,I'm surprised singer couldn't do it only one who responded to my inquiry and could do it for my Corolla and it's pretty small as well ,but yeah might have to take the plunge with GP if u have no other option or stick with small amps have you tried DC power ? 

3 hours ago, akuma4u said:

before i make a decision on GP , i need real reasons why to avoid them.. i did some light research and found several people show great dislike and some even hatred towards GP and a guy named dom i think IIRC.. but i need to know what it is about GP.. is the product crap? does it break down early? bad customer service? not as advertised?  if its ONLY a matter of opinion without any real reason then that confuses me.. if the product does what it says it does and the customer service is decent and the product lasts then its a good company in my book. I need someone to chime in and tell me exactly why GP is bad or should be avoided... you can PM me if u dont want to talk shit in a public forum about their company, im ok with that.

I am using a pioneer double din avh4800bt 4 volt hu

i constantly monitor voltage,. voltage while driving will stay in the range of 13.6 to 14v .. if idling it can drop to 13 but i try not to blast beats when idling anyways..

i have heard some clip indicators are not accurate or go off prematurely but then ive heard and seen a youtube test where a clip indicator on a bass knob started going off the exact same time the red dot started flashing on the DD1..

interesting note: when running 2 ohm,. my voltage can go into the mid 13s as well , just as it does with 1 ohm but at 2 ohms the clipping light doesnt go off at all while at 1 ohm it does..

finally.. the box.. the box is small and way too little port area and the magnet of the sub is basically blocking 80-90% of the port entrance from the inside of the box. and its a super stiff sub waiting still to be broken in.. btw this is just a temp box as im waiting for a new one to get made. I am confused tho how a box could cause clipping? so if u can, please explain that to me.

note: when i am running 2 ohms im using an sa 12 in a near perfect box for that sub.. when i am running 1 ohm im using a zv3/zv4 crossbreed sub in the same sa12 box but its not the proper box for that sub..

I like GP personally. Never had a bad experience with them with anything I've ordered. 

I think where people draw some dislike is from possible false claims about certain equipment. *subs that can take 50kw no problem* type of talk. 

99% sure their alts are fully sourced and not made by them. I've seen builds with their alts doing big things. No hate on my end, I just think its opinion honestly. 

Headunit is fine.  not the issue. 

My CT knobs go off prematurely. We tested my buddies DD knob and it did the same. They're not the end all be all obviously. 

Its not the box that would be causing the clipping, I just thought that the box could be too big/small for the sub. 

If you have a box that is too small, it will take more power for the sub to reach its mechanical limits 

Larger boxes tend to be more efficient but will take less power to reach the mechanical limits. 

Its all about the pressure. Smaller box = more pressure. Larger box = less pressure. 

Also the tuning and port area plays a big roll in that. 

If the box is tuned too high or too low, you could be missing out on a bunch of bass.  

Your box 80% of your sound. 

Seeing that the box you have isn't really big enough for that frankenwoofer you have, if you can mount the sub inverted then you'd get more airspace in the box. 

I just don't want you to spend money if you don't need to. A proper box will make a world of difference in your sound. 

2008 VW Jetta

Team Fi 12 

CT 4000.1

CT 125.4

PWX 6.5

80 PRS

EB Flex 2/0

Second Skin

^^^ Build ^^^

8 hours ago, Mitchaford said:

I like GP personally. Never had a bad experience with them with anything I've ordered. 

I think where people draw some dislike is from possible false claims about certain equipment. *subs that can take 50kw no problem* type of talk. 

99% sure their alts are fully sourced and not made by them. I've seen builds with their alts doing big things. No hate on my end, I just think its opinion honestly. 

Headunit is fine.  not the issue. 

My CT knobs go off prematurely. We tested my buddies DD knob and it did the same. They're not the end all be all obviously. 

Its not the box that would be causing the clipping, I just thought that the box could be too big/small for the sub. 

If you have a box that is too small, it will take more power for the sub to reach its mechanical limits 

Larger boxes tend to be more efficient but will take less power to reach the mechanical limits. 

Its all about the pressure. Smaller box = more pressure. Larger box = less pressure. 

Also the tuning and port area plays a big roll in that. 

If the box is tuned too high or too low, you could be missing out on a bunch of bass.  

Your box 80% of your sound. 

Seeing that the box you have isn't really big enough for that frankenwoofer you have, if you can mount the sub inverted then you'd get more airspace in the box. 

I just don't want you to spend money if you don't need to. A proper box will make a world of difference in your sound. 

Ya true that on not wanting to spend money. So im going to do this..im goomg to get a proper box made. That was my plan regardless and then see if that fixes the issue or at least helps it. The part that throws me off is since its a zv3 motor and magnet but zv4 soft parts do i build the box as if its a zv3 or a zv4??? There is a huge difference in airspace between the two woofers. I didnt realize this at first and had a design built by triticum but that was considering it was a zv3..but others have told me i basically have a zv4 now without a megaroll surround. 

My trunk is too tight..no way to invert. Right now im thinking of doing an aero port box to get more net airspace or an external port. Or worst case scenerio take the labryinth style box triticum made for me amd decrease the port to 3 inches instead of 3.25 so i can get more net airspace. 

If i knew how confusing the ts parameters woild become i wouldve never used all diffetent parts. 

A user who apparently blocked me after an emotional episode called kyblack76 is coming up in searches on google who has said some very negative things about gp audios alternators...but didnt explain why. Now thats he has blocked me..ill never know why he is so against them. 

28 minutes ago, akuma4u said:

My trunk is too tight..no way to invert. Right now im thinking of doing an aero port box to get more net airspace or an external port. Or worst case scenerio take the labryinth style box triticum made for me amd decrease the port to 3 inches instead of 3.25 so i can get more net airspace. 

I'll probably get a lot of hate for this, but if you are very tight on space in your trunk, you could consider going with a sealed enclosure. Super easy to build yourself, and I personally prefer the way they sound over a ported box, but I am also a metal head. 

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

RF Power T1000 BDCP

RF Punch 400-4

2 P2D4 12's

Archived