Second Skin Audio

Multiple box's port tuning confusion

BiGMik3

Ok well hope the new years going good for everyone but I'm redoing my box's in my trailblazer. I made one of the 3 box's I planned for but I'm having some confusion with port frequency and styles. I only have on subwoofer running now Alpine type r12 and plan to put the 2nd one in soon. When I made the first box made it with a 1.6ft3  tuned to 33hz slot port.. Now the issue is I made to box to the truck so I ended up with a 2nd half of the box 1.25ft3 and was thinking of either round ported 10 or 12. But will there be cancelation with different port frequency

..planned on 5 subs total..lots of room without 3rd row  and any sub recommendation would be helpful was thinking one more type r and 2 of something to fit the 1.25ft3 boxs

If it helps anything to make the 3 box thing make sense it's 2 long box's on sides and one shorter one in middle just so I can kinda use the back sill my 3 2400 kinetic battery's are hid under the box's my floor has a drop for the 3rd rows feet.. and an amp rack just behind the seat figure it should look cool 

Not real clear on what you have going on or asking. You made a box for an Alpine that's 1.6 cu.ft. tuned to 33 Hz and then you made a second box that's 1.25 cuft and want to put a different sub in that one?

It's not a good idea to mix subs unless you plan on bandpassing them. 

Sorry about that I'm on my cell phone...but you hit the mark now is there an issue with mixing subs I only ask due to budget is there a huge noticable cancellation or something...I mean I've herd mixing  box types is bad sealed and ported but not alot of info on different ported subs.......im not looking to go-to any show or competition it's my daily driver 

Yes the subs and enclosure will have their own frequency response so playing them together could have a huge impact but it is going to depend on the subs and enclosures. You are almost always better off going with one or the other in a proper box. I suppose you could bandpass them so they are not trying to play the same frequencies but that would be more trouble than what its worth I think.

I have ran two 15s and four 10s sealed all facing the rear tailgate. Had no problems and gave more punch than four 15s. They were all sealed and even on the same amp. Separate amps would allow better tuning, but with the series parallel configuration I was using, most of the power was going to the 15s. I would say try it and see how it sounds. I don't see any need to band pass either but you can easily try with the subsonic on the amp. Tuned in for pictures.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

3 hours ago, ShadeTreeMechanic said:

.....They were all sealed......

This is probably a large reason why this worked out for you.  Once you throw ported boxes into the mix I suspect there will be a lot more issues with cancellation. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Ok the only reason I wanted to mix is just how expensive Alpine is.

I got both my mrx-m110 amps and 3 type r 12s for 500 off an old co-worker who was moving.

..so maybe not 5 subs total but maybe 3 all the same only one issue they don't make that amp any longer would that matter new series is very close spec wise

Probably just hide battery's in extra box's no hole yet so just make a door I spose

4 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

This is probably a large reason why this worked out for you.  Once you throw ported boxes into the mix I suspect there will be a lot more issues with cancellation. 

I wondered that too. I never did get a chance to try it ported. I think having mine in the same location and all pointing the same way helped too. The adjustable phase shift on most amps might be of some use when the drivers are in different locations and/or pointed in different directions. How much it would really help I don't know but I have seen old school builds that had giant active crossovers with adjustable phase on every channel.

Pioneer 80PRS

56 minutes ago, BiGMik3 said:

Ok the only reason I wanted to mix is just how expensive Alpine is.

I got both my mrx-m110 amps and 3 type r 12s for 500 off an old co-worker who was moving.

..so maybe not 5 subs total but maybe 3 all the same only one issue they don't make that amp any longer would that matter new series is very close spec wise

Probably just hide battery's in extra box's no hole yet so just make a door I spose

Or try the sub and if you don't like it then make it a door.

Pioneer 80PRS

Archived