Hey guys, this is my first question I'm asking so idk if I'm doing it right or in the right place even lol but I need help!!! Got an nvx build I'm working on in my 98 ext. Cab obs silverado...

My situation is this: I'm trying to do some custom stuff on this build and have finished my glass box and now moving on to the amp rack, so my thinking is I wanna make the third door an amp rack and glass it all on the panel (make a new 1 pretty much with shelves for amps) I have to mount 3 amps (2x nvx jad1200.1 and a nvx jad800.4) and maybe their 10 farard cap (pls save me the cap being worthless space lol I already know there not a fix yada yada lol but I like the distroblocks that's built in and other reasons) but my only real concern right now is the wiring my door has no speakers so there's no boot or anything on it. I'm just wondering if I put a boot in (or some other way if anyone knows something better) if I could be able to rUn maybe 2-3 runs of 1/0 wire and all the rca wires through to the door and be alright opening and closing and so on. Does anyone have any experience doing this? I can't find info anywhere on the web. And I've never done anything like this but if it will work I thought it'd be pretty damn cool if I could open that 3rd door up to show off my stuff and then bam right there on the door is these amps and everything plus I figure it'll save room and give easy access to all the amps. I think I have the glassing part down I just don't know how or if getting the power and ground wires to them is possible and the best way to do it while having the door functional so any help or opinions would be fantastic!!!! 

In my experience, any spot where wire has to 'flex' consistently you run the risk of failure.  If you do plan for sure to do this, make sure to protect the shit out of the wires where it will be going into the door make sure to fuse the crap out of them wires as well.  running that size wire into a door (especially multiple), that will be opened on a consistent basis would scare me to do.  Id definitely suggest not doing this.  Not to mention now you have RCA's running with power wires which will potentially introduce noise to the system.  I'm thinking since this is not even an option people considered, it may be a huge effort only to find out you don't like it.  if you want to do something different, try mounting the amps into the headliner, i know that's been done and is pretty unique.  and wires dont get 'flexed' over and over.  cool idea tho.   post some pics of the install, maybe we get a better idea of what you're doing

"Be sure you know what you're talking about, before you give advice"

Tim

That's kinda the response I expected lol I haven't seen it anywhere and figured there's good reason. Just sounds pretty cool and I know the glass work on it is something I can do with my small amount of experience. I'll try and load some pics but the back is empty lol except where I've sound deadened but it'd give an idea of the area I guess. Thanks for ur input, I'm expecting it to be a plan that probably wouldn't work but I wanna do as much research as I can before I throw it out lol just that the picture in my head seems cool as hell lol

38 minutes ago, jjmccloud98z78 said:

Hey guys, this is my first question I'm asking so idk if I'm doing it right or in the right place even lol but I need help!!! Got an nvx build I'm working on in my 98 ext. Cab obs silverado...

My situation is this: I'm trying to do some custom stuff on this build and have finished my glass box and now moving on to the amp rack, so my thinking is I wanna make the third door an amp rack and glass it all on the panel (make a new 1 pretty much with shelves for amps) I have to mount 3 amps (2x nvx jad1200.1 and a nvx jad800.4) and maybe their 10 farard cap (pls save me the cap being worthless space lol I already know there not a fix yada yada lol but I like the distroblocks that's built in and other reasons) but my only real concern right now is the wiring my door has no speakers so there's no boot or anything on it. I'm just wondering if I put a boot in (or some other way if anyone knows something better) if I could be able to rUn maybe 2-3 runs of 1/0 wire and all the rca wires through to the door and be alright opening and closing and so on. Does anyone have any experience doing this? I can't find info anywhere on the web. And I've never done anything like this but if it will work I thought it'd be pretty damn cool if I could open that 3rd door up to show off my stuff and then bam right there on the door is these amps and everything plus I figure it'll save room and give easy access to all the amps. I think I have the glassing part down I just don't know how or if getting the power and ground wires to them is possible and the best way to do it while having the door functional so any help or opinions would be fantastic!!!! 

I drilled holes in my doors and door jambs to run multiple runs of 12ga speaker wire and theyre doing great.  Go for it man, the bending fatigue failure may take a much longer time than you will have the vehicle or the equipment.  Give it some slack, be careful, and go for it.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

3 hours ago, SE wisconsin said:

In my experience, any spot where wire has to 'flex' consistently you run the risk of failure.  If you do plan for sure to do this, make sure to protect the shit out of the wires where it will be going into the door make sure to fuse the crap out of them wires as well.  running that size wire into a door (especially multiple), that will be opened on a consistent basis would scare me to do.  Id definitely suggest not doing this.  Not to mention now you have RCA's running with power wires which will potentially introduce noise to the system.  I'm thinking since this is not even an option people considered, it may be a huge effort only to find out you don't like it.  if you want to do something different, try mounting the amps into the headliner, i know that's been done and is pretty unique.  and wires dont get 'flexed' over and over.  cool idea tho.   post some pics of the install, maybe we get a better idea of what you're doing

Your RCAs should be shielded.  You have 'general concerns' but have you tried any of this stuff before?  Just curious.

What OP wants to do isnt that big of a deal.  Check out AMI Customs (Andrew McCollough's) truck "The Black Nasty".  He already did what OP wants to do (amps in the rear swing door).  Andrew's a serious competitor and world record holder.

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

Have not tried this specifically no, I guess I’m reminded from my old days from. Friend who ran a 4 awg wire thu his door jam and the car caught fire after a month

"Be sure you know what you're talking about, before you give advice"

Tim

19 minutes ago, SE wisconsin said:

Have not tried this specifically no, I guess I’m reminded from my old days from. Friend who ran a 4 awg wire thu his door jam and the car caught fire after a month

Thats unfortunate.  If you drill the correct sized hole and use the correct sized rubber grommets, you shouldnt have any insulation breakage or any shorts.  Bending fatigue takes a while to occur, I highly doubt he had fatigue failure due to the bending of the wire in a month.  Sounds like he had a ground fault due to not protecting his cable.

IG @walledsonic

27 minutes ago, jjmccloud98z78 said:

Gonna check out "The big nasty" and see what it's about

Sorry man, its Black Nasty.  Lol 

I corrected the comment above.  He has a build log here and a Youtube channel

This link should dump you to page 20ish of his first BL.  Here you can see an AQ amp in the rear door.  He glassed it in at some point but his BL is so long, you'll have to thumb thru the pages to see more.

IG @walledsonic

Archived