Big 3- 2017 Ford F-150 - anyone accomplished?

• 2 months later...

I'm assuming by now you figured this out, but I was in the same boat as you.  Just did the big 3 on my Ecoboost 2011 F150, and it wasn't particularly fun.  You saying the alternator is buried, I'm assuming you also have the Eco.

What I had to do was remove the driver inner wheel well, disconnect the turbo piping down there.  Then go to the top and remove all of the intake piping and now that the turbo piping was loose I could move it to the side slightly.

That said, I still could barely get to the alternator terminal.  Ended up popping the cap off, wrangling my zero gauge down to where it needed to go and then used a whole lot extensions and a swivel bit to get the nut off and then back on again.  Biggest pain was just the discomfort in removing the turbo piping for fear that I wasn't going to be able to get back on right but in reality it wasn't too bad.

On 3/21/2018 at 5:19 AM, msturg said:

I'm assuming by now you figured this out, but I was in the same boat as you.  Just did the big 3 on my Ecoboost 2011 F150, and it wasn't particularly fun.  You saying the alternator is buried, I'm assuming you also have the Eco.

What I had to do was remove the driver inner wheel well, disconnect the turbo piping down there.  Then go to the top and remove all of the intake piping and now that the turbo piping was loose I could move it to the side slightly.

That said, I still could barely get to the alternator terminal.  Ended up popping the cap off, wrangling my zero gauge down to where it needed to go and then used a whole lot extensions and a swivel bit to get the nut off and then back on again.  Biggest pain was just the discomfort in removing the turbo piping for fear that I wasn't going to be able to get back on right but in reality it wasn't too bad.

I actually haven't gotten around to it yet so this is good info, thanks. Seems like a whole lot of hassle but definitely needs to be done. Glad it worked out for you!

2017 F-150 3.5L Screw EcoBoost XLT Sport

- Factory HU + Lc7i  + Zapco I-4100 + Morel Tempo + SQ 2250 + Fi SSD Neo 15

Archived