Second Skin Audio

Question for people with experience using WinISD

bigmacjack

Hey everybody, I'm building a box for a friend and im using WinISD, and when I calculate the port it gives me a port length or 32.76. Now, what I'm wondering is whether the value given is the physical length of the port? or is this what the effective port length should be with end correction included?

Thanks! 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WinISD does include some error correction options, but they are only for round (aero) ports.  If you are going to be using a slot port you are going to want to factor in additional end correction. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

24 minutes ago, bigmacjack said:

thats unfortunate i was hoping that this included end correction and i could use a smaller port 

You can use a shorter port than what WinISD says. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

2 hours ago, bigmacjack said:

how much shorter though? i also have termlab available to me if i should try that out 

That depends on the dimensions of the port, your desired tuning frequency, and the net volume of the box.  If you give me that info I can tell you how long to make the port. 

2 hours ago, bigmacjack said:

sorry for asking so many questions i just wanna try and get this as perfect as i can 

Don't feel bad for asking questions.  I wish most people would ask more.  You are trying to learn so you can do things for yourself, I'm alway happy to help people who are like that. 

Builds:

thanks man i really appreciate everybody on here thats willing to help others. its for 2 18" dc xl m4. the net will be 12 cubes @ 32 hz. i used your calculator and it says optimal port area should be 201 so i made the port 12 x 17. and WinISD says it should be 32.76" long. "also another side note" is this really gonna take up 4 cubes of volume???? 

38 minutes ago, bigmacjack said:

thanks man i really appreciate everybody on here thats willing to help others. its for 2 18" dc xl m4. the net will be 12 cubes @ 32 hz. i used your calculator and it says optimal port area should be 201 so i made the port 12 x 17. and WinISD says it should be 32.76" long. "also another side note" is this really gonna take up 4 cubes of volume???? 

Is your port going to have any common walls with the rest of the enclosure?

What amp/s will you be running?

Builds:

18 minutes ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

Is your port going to have any common walls with the rest of the enclosure?

What amp/s will you be running?

yea its going to have a shared wall. and im not sure about amp yet were still looking for one. but were planning on running around 5k 

Archived