Sundown Audio

Advice on which of my 2 amps to use for my Subs

Smoothe

I have two amps and am trying to decide which to use for my setup.  Subs are two JL W7 12's 3ohm each wired to 1.5 ohm to the amp.   The amps I have are a Rockford T1500-1bdcp rated and a Orion XTR4000.1D.   The subs say 750 watts is optimal and 1000 is max rms before warranty is void.  The Rockford would be safe but the Orion has the potential to blow them.  Should I just use the Rockford and be safe or use the Orion and go very easy on the gain.  What would you guys do?  The subs will be sealed because that is what I prefer.

Rockford ratings @ 14.4 Volts                         Orion Ratings @ 12.6 Volts

1000 Watts x 1 @ 4-Ohm                                   1750 Watts x 1 @ 4-Ohm                                  
1500 Watts x 1 @ 2-Ohm                                   2800 Watts x 1 @ 2-Ohm 
1500 Watts x 1 @ 1-Ohm                                   4000 Watts x 1 @ 1-Ohm 

image1.jpeg

Yeah I know it takes power to make power, Electrical upgrades will all be done before i put any sound equipment in vehicle.  I already have OFC 1/0 big 3 and will probably will go with a mechman alt and 2 agm batteries most likely 3400's when money is order but still in the design phase of the system.  I seen he blown one though and reconed one i believe.  I will have to get a clamp meter or an AMM-1 and maybe measure what is being delivered to have a level of peace of mind i guess.

Okay Rockford it is then, I was kind of leaning towards that.  I only impulse bought the Orion because of the BigD Amp dyno but it's really too big for my subs and can still get a refund on the orion.  Now on to the rest of the components.  Quick responses on this forum, thanks for the input guys.

You know that T1500 is putting out closer to 2K @ 1 Ohm. Smaller foot print and clean as hell. At least mine is. Either one is a winner, you could always turn the gains way down on the Orion. ?

Archived