Second Skin Audio

2017 f 150 crew cab

SLAB153

@Triticum Agricolam, off hand, have you done many designs for the 6.5" sundowns? Just curious what your take is on using 6.5" subs for small ported truck enclosures like OP's

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

18 minutes ago, WalledSonic said:

@Triticum Agricolam, off hand, have you done many designs for the 6.5" sundowns? Just curious what your take is on using 6.5" subs for small ported truck enclosures like OP's

I haven't done anything with the 6.5" Sundown's specifically, but I did do a build using 6.5" Tang Band subs (before the Sundowns were available).  It performed well for what it was, I'd say it was roughly equivalent to a single 12" on similar power.  But it was limited to about 400 watts total. 

When it comes to small subs, both 6.5" and 8"s, you do what you have to do when you have limited space to work with.  If at all possible though I prefer to use "real" subs, which are 10"s and bigger.  The 6.5"s and 8"s are never going to perform like the larger subs do, even if you have enough of them to have the same cone area as a larger sub/s.  There just isn't enough room on those small frames for a decent size coil and still have enough space to get good excursion capability.  Also most of those small subs have really stiff suspensions which makes their output tend to be much more peaky than I like.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

2 hours ago, SLAB153 said:

Yes we getting warmer!!! Will it be any difference if I did 2.5 cu ft to 3.5? 

Very little, like 1 db more output at 3.5 cu ft at 30 hz compared to 2 cu ft.  Sealed boxes just aren't very sensitive to changes in box size.  I would keep it at 2.0 cu ft just so you keep cone excursion reasonable with the amount of power you are going to be running.  I don't think you will be able to fit more than 2.0 cu ft without raising your seat anyway.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

On 2/2/2018 at 6:06 PM, Triticum Agricolam said:

Very little, like 1 db more output at 3.5 cu ft at 30 hz compared to 2 cu ft.  Sealed boxes just aren't very sensitive to changes in box size.  I would keep it at 2.0 cu ft just so you keep cone excursion reasonable with the amount of power you are going to be running.  I don't think you will be able to fit more than 2.0 cu ft without raising your seat anyway.  

Can anyone do google sketchup for me if I give the dimensions?

2 hours ago, SLAB153 said:

Can anyone do google sketchup for me if I give the dimensions?

Yeah, I can.

Builds:

Here ya go.  I wasn't sure how to setup the different top depths, let me know if this is right.

This one is with .75" thick material:

image.png.0c4b9cfe2296cc972a8dcfb98a755951.png

And here is the same thing using 5/8" (15mm plywood)
image.png.451b1eaae46e5f27dabf9f4814948c28.png

Using 15mm plywood, especially if its baltic birch, should work fine for this box as long as its properly braced.  It will get you a little more internal volume. 

Builds:

8 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

Here ya go.  I wasn't sure how to setup the different top depths, let me know if this is right.

This one is with .75" thick material:

image.png.0c4b9cfe2296cc972a8dcfb98a755951.png

And here is the same thing using 5/8" (15mm plywood)
image.png.451b1eaae46e5f27dabf9f4814948c28.png

Using 15mm plywood, especially if its baltic birch, should work fine for this box as long as its properly braced.  It will get you a little more internal volume. 

Thanks man! Question when u mean properly braced do you mean divided chambers which is extra wood n strength the box? Because I didn’t plan on using dividers. I planned on using drywall screws every 6” minimum. 

Archived