High output alternators? Share experiences

Twonnie

I was hoping to hear a little about what kind of alternators you guys use / have used and what your experience with them is. Like what size is it, for what vehicle, how many, what is it powering, what is it putting out? ...did it fail, is it nearly indestructible, did you have to customize your vehicle to make it fit (and how so?)

Basically any information you provide would be really helpful. You can only find so much information from digging on the internet before you have to start asking questions.

Anyway, I want to buy a new alternator for my Pontiac g6, but I'm really unsure of what to get. The biggest alt I can find for my vehicle is a 240 amp. Basically I'd like to be able to have a more than sufficient power supply if possible. I don't think there is any room to run a second alt under the hood.. Which would be nice. But I was thinking if there was a way for me to make a custom bracket to mount a bigger universal alternator.. that would probably be best? If anybody has personal experience with a g6 and alternators, please let me know!

I would greatly appreciate any personal experiences, suggestions and feedback :)

I'm running a Singer 270 A alternator with 2 Northstar AGM31Ms (one front, one back), direct fit, no modifications. The only problem was the threads for the screws were on the opposite side. So the exhaust manifold heatshield and the oil filter had to be removed to have room to put the screws in. Clamped it and did 140 A at idle through the 2 runs of 0 gauge welding wire, but there is the stock wire too so maybe it makes more. Couldn't clamp that one because it's routed different than the 0 gauge. Check my build log for more info on amps and pictures.

P1050825.jpg

Made a template out of wood for a Denso Large Case alternator

35524053114_7390a59242_k.jpg

Threw some dimensions in CAD and had these plates waterjet cut for $35/ea

36596310355_b1f4b32e25_k.jpg

Welded some spacers on

37041777460_c7c9c4e5e6_k.jpg

Here it is next to the stock alt.

37041775420_e968db1902_k.jpg

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

Reliable manufacturers include:

US Alternators

Singer

Mechman

DC Power

There are more that others will likely chime in about.  

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

Where do i start...

Ran a SINGER in my acura tsx, sold it, put another hairpin in it, singer again,..

Ran a DC power 320 in a eclipse

Ran a 350, then a 350 with 270 hair pin, then 370, and 270 hair pins in a blazer, custom made dual bracket

Run 4 270's now, all hair pins, in a burban, all singers..... Yip, i love me some singer. I like him and Dan at USALTS, only alts id run. Dc Power bracket, took a ton of work, to get it relaible for us. But, it is. I have a SINGER regulator coming also, so we can ditch those fucking pile of shit transpos. 

But, Matt at mechman is a cool dude, and DC power makes sick product. Cant go wrong with any of em.. 

I have used a couple of Mechman alternators myself, they've performed great for me and my Ranger.

I see the CES Alternators brand name thrown around alot on a facebook group that i'm on just as another alternative.

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

53 minutes ago, Markous said:

I have used a couple of Mechman alternators myself, they've performed great for me and my Ranger.

I see the CES Alternators brand name thrown around alot on a facebook group that i'm on just as another alternative.

Wurd,... Jonathan seems to be a great dude,... I havent personally used his gear, but, i know peeps that have, and are very happy. Another great suggestion for sure. 

Thanks for sharing guys!

I'll have to take a closer look at how my alternator mounts. I know it has 3-4 mounting bolts, but there are one or two in a weird spot behind the alternator. 

I have machinist / welder friends that could whip up a bracket for me, just need to figure out if I can try cramming a bigger alternator in there lol

Kinda remember bro, biggest isn't always best. Your turn on speed may be to high,  and you may see dick at idle, which is a pain. That's why we run just 270s. They work better for what we wanna do. (We compete in long, average runs, where your foot can't be on the pedal)  The 270s smash the 370s at 400 rpm. Nature of the beast. I'm not failure with your car, or how much power you wanna run. But a nice, HO alt, and some bank, can run a good bit of power. My 350 old school, with d7500s did me more than fine, on a Dc 10k at .5. If I saw low 12s, it was rare.   All depends on what your doing. Just my experience. Seen a ton of members on here, in the lanes, and on the street ask why they dip so hard at idle, when they are packing a 370 amp alt. Fucker won't turn on at 350rpm. Or what have you. Something to keep in mind. 

Ran a dc power 270xp for a few years, thing was a beast.

Wish i wouldnt have sold it.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived