Sundown Audio

matching amplifiers phase

BMS

Right that video shows the method i was talking about earlier. Just because i don't a way to vary the phase doesn't mean my amps are in phase with each other. if you had 2 amps and both were set to 0 degrees it doesn't mean that 0 degrees on one amp is the same as 0 degrees on the other amp and it doesn't even matter if it is a potentiometer or not this can still occur even when it is a switch. phase is relative  0 degrees doesn't exist unless you give it a value and say this is 0 degrees. However without assigning a value of 0 you could in fact say that 2 waves are a cretin degree out of phase because that is their correlation.

17 minutes ago, BMS said:

Right that video shows the method i was talking about earlier. Just because i don't a way to vary the phase doesn't mean my amps are in phase with each other. if you had 2 amps and both were set to 0 degrees it doesn't mean that 0 degrees on one amp is the same as 0 degrees on the other amp and it doesn't even matter if it is a potentiometer or not this can still occur even when it is a switch. phase is relative  0 degrees doesn't exist unless you give it a value and say this is 0 degrees. However without assigning a value of 0 you could in fact say that 2 waves are a cretin degree out of phase because that is their correlation.

0 degrees does exist, its the input signal!

If an amp doesn't have a pot for phase adjustment there is no reason it wouldn't be completely in phase with the input signal (or completely out of phase, depending on how you have the switch set).

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

47 minutes ago, BMS said:

if your amps didn't have a phase control the only way they would be out of phase is if the signal was out of phase. if it is a mono signal then i'm not quite sure how that would happen. 

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

They may be out of phase due to inconsistency in component values just the same way a potentiometer may have an inconsistent value so may other components. And the input phase doesn't mach the phase of the output its theoretically impossible at any frequency the way i see it. As soon as a wave is applied to the input it takes time for the signal to travel through the amplifier electricity may move quick but it isn't instantaneous. If you are playing 400 hz and it takes 0.000013889 seconds for the signal to travel through the amplifier you are 1 degree out of phase with your input. 400hz/1second = .0025 (the time it takes for one cycle to occur at 400 hz) .0025/180 degrees of phase per cycle equals 0.000013889. (the time it takes for one degree of the cycle to occur) By the way i have no idea how long it takes to travel through the amplifier. Phase and frequency can be directly translated to time and there is no way the signal can travel instantaneously without taking time therefore the input and the output are out of phase to some extent even if it was only half a degree.

Anyway we are way off track i was just hopping somebody could recommend a product that would allow me to change the phase going into the amplifier because i can't find one. And i am still learning just like everybody else and understand that i may misunderstand something to be correct when it isn't. but i am always open to hear what everyone else has to say. 

Yeah that what ive been doing and looks like i may have to but it is just easier on everything if the amps are in phase. if they arent the subs move less and if the subs move less typically the box rise will be less and if that happens the amplifiers have put out more power (power being turned to heat not sound) witch is extra stress on the amps and electrical system also not to mention the subs are moving less and receiving more power so they arent cooling as well it all contributes to an exponential efficiency drop across the whole system. not that i have to be exactly in phase but i want to be close.

If you're that concerned, buy a multi-channel o-scope so you can check it. Then, if they are out of phase, there's nothing you can do with a "on-off" switch to adjust it, so I would look into amps that have pots for their phase adjustment.

Archived