Second Skin Audio

Sundown Audio: 4 SA-8's or 1 z12

EJ E.

I am trying to decide on what set up I am going with. Tax returns are coming in and got the go ahead from the wife to build a system lol. I have been out of the car audio loop for some years now so looking forward to the buid.  Have pretty much decided on two models, 4 sa 8's or 1 z12. Thought I would as here to get some info on some of you more experienced guys to help me narrow it down. Kind of want it all, clean bass, high output, low bass. I was also planning on going with a single sundown sae/scv 2000D...enough amp?

Thanks in advance for the input.

1 hour ago, EJ E. said:

I am trying to decide on what set up I am going with. Tax returns are coming in and got the go ahead from the wife to build a system lol. I have been out of the car audio loop for some years now so looking forward to the buid.  Have pretty much decided on two models, 4 sa 8's or 1 z12. Thought I would as here to get some info on some of you more experienced guys to help me narrow it down. Kind of want it all, clean bass, high output, low bass. I was also planning on going with a single sundown sae/scv 2000D...enough amp?

Thanks in advance for the input.

What's the dimensions of your space? If you can fit four 8"s you can probably fit two 12"s.  Two SA-12s would be great on 2,000 watts.   There is no good reason to use 8" subs when larger subs will fit. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

7 minutes ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

What's the dimensions of your space? If you can fit four 8"s you can probably fit two 12"s.  Two SA-12s would be great on 2,000 watts.   There is no good reason to use 8" subs when larger subs will fit. 

Must have calculated wrong when trying to figure ported set up, looks like 4 8's and 2 12's have the same requirements. My space available pretty much equates to 4 cu.ft.. Space available is 41"W x 21"H x 10"D. So yeah, 12's might be the way to go if I go with sa's.

It's a family car as well so there will be a stroller back there and the 10"D is giving some room for excursion and any safety bars for the sub(s).

If I was able to put that to 12"D anyone way i could fit a single top firing Zv5 12?

3 minutes ago, EJ E. said:

Must have calculated wrong when trying to figure ported set up, looks like 4 8's and 2 12's have the same requirements. My space available pretty much equates to 4 cu.ft.. Space available is 41"W x 21"H x 10"D. So yeah, 12's might be the way to go if I go with sa's.

It's a family car as well so there will be a stroller back there and the 10"D is giving some room for excursion and any safety bars for the sub(s).

If I was able to put that to 12"D anyone way i could fit a single top firing Zv5 12?

What kind of car is this going in?

The mounting depth of a Zv5 12" is 12", coincidentally.  To fit that you are going to need a box at least 13.5" tall, and then surround of the sub is going to stick up another 1", at least, above that.  

Keep in mind that the output from two SA-12s is going to stomp all over one Zv5-12.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

1 minute ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

What kind of car is this going in?

The mounting depth of a Zv5 12" is 12", coincidentally.  To fit that you are going to need a box at least 13.5" tall, and then surround of the sub is going to stick up another 1", at least, above that.  

Keep in mind that the output from two SA-12s is going to stomp all over one Zv5-12.  

2016 Impala, so there is plenty of room, that's just the room I have allotted for my subs. 

20 minutes ago, EJ E. said:

2016 Impala, so there is plenty of room, that's just the room I have allotted for my subs. 

Ok, the reason I asked is because if its a trunk car, you don't want to fire the subs up anyway.  Its just a recipe for trunk rattle. 

Builds:

Can't go wrong with that amp(s) you plan on using.

Had my SCV-2K for almost three years now, not a single issue with it.

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

2 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

Ok, the reason I asked is because if its a trunk car, you don't want to fire the subs up anyway.  Its just a recipe for trunk rattle. 

That still true if sub is top fire and ports rear firing? Kinda new to port boxes, have always just built sealed.

59 minutes ago, EJ E. said:

That still true if sub is top fire and ports rear firing? Kinda new to port boxes, have always just built sealed.

Yup, still the case.  With a trunk car you don't want anything firing up. 

Builds:

Archived