2010 Caliber "Dirty Deeds" (Rebuild starts pg.13)

On 2/17/2018 at 11:03 AM, Wishuponasub said:

So I am still working on that room. I did manage to get the headliner stabbed back in. I went and looked at the alt while paint was drying and it looked complicated lol. I got a quote on getting it changed and it was a little rich for my blood. So I googled the process and it's not to terribly bad. I've always had an older truck to work on. This is my first FWD to work on so its different to me and hella cramped. I'm going to have to pull the passenger tire off and fender well to get to the alt. I'm also gonna have to swing the AC compressor out of the way. This may be standard for FWD lo idk but I'm used to just unfolding one and bolting the new one in. I'm off again Tues so that's probably when I'll tackle this.

Unfortunately it is pretty much standard for most fwd cars, yours isnt too bad though, some are nightmares, like you have to take the engine out of the car to get it off nightmares.

Where do you live?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Broke_Audio_Addict said:

Unfortunately it is pretty much standard for most fwd cars, yours isnt too bad though, some are nightmares, like you have to take the engine out of the car to get it off nightmares.

Where do you live?

Yeah that would suck. I know in my Dads Ford diesel they had to pull the motor to change the oil pan gasket. That's some ducked up stuff lol. So yeah I guess I will count my blessings.  I live in Southeast Texas.

Sitting around waiting to be installed:

4 FI X 10

270 CES alt

D3400/73ah lithium

AA 3800.1

(2) AA 75.4

Well I don't have to many updates but I'll give you what I have. I worked nights Monday night and woke up kind of late Tuesday. I went and started on the car immediately. Like before I finished my coffee lol. As Broke said, the alternator wasn't all that terrible. A few cuss words and some missing skin:

0220181448.jpg

Its kind of hard looking at that picture to see where the money went lol. But I know it will do what it's supposed to. When I went to the auto parts store the other day asking for a shorter belt I also asked for the Gates GreenStripe or whatever it's called but this is the only one they had:

0220181715.jpg

So I got the new alternator in and the belt wrapped mostly to how it's gonna be. Its just not around the compressor. I didn't want to forget how it goes even though I took a lot of pictures. I was trying to get the last bolt on the compressor when it just got too dark to see. So that's whet I sit now. I got up this morning and it's pouring down rain so I figured I would go ahead and update what I could.

Also as I was doing this I upgraded the alt + to batt, and added alt frame to batt -

4 FI X 10

270 CES alt

D3400/73ah lithium

AA 3800.1

(2) AA 75.4

0221181255.jpg

So there she is her new home (maybe). Got the belt on and all buttoned up because it's about to start raining until tomorrow night and then I have work Friday morning. So I had to get it done. Now here is my issue and my question for you guys....

I checked my voltage with the old alternator and with radio off and AC off at idle the alt was putting 14.4 out at the batt. Now that I installed this CES 270 amp I'm getting 14.2 to 14.3 at the batt. That seems a little underwhelming. I guess I was expecting 14.8 or 14.9. Is this normal or should I be contacting Johnathan?

4 FI X 10

270 CES alt

D3400/73ah lithium

AA 3800.1

(2) AA 75.4

This is determined by Chrysler's PCM if you have a plug connector.  Lucky for you, most of them charge in the 14s all the time, from what I've read.  Us GM guys have to deal with the alt shutting off completely...

EDIT: The main benefit of an upgraded stock case alternator is more amperage with all the benefits and function of 'stock' like PCM regulation, no battery light warning, etc.  

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

My buddy's Jeep stays above 14V 100% of the time. 

Here's a pic of his plug connector.  If yours is the same, chances are Chrysler uses the same across the board.  Report back after you've driven for a few weeks and let us know if it ever dips lower, for science.

36915934934_3b98cd987b_k.jpgIMG_3262 by Walled Sonic, on Flickr

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

Nice looking build, thanks for using Second Skin Damplifier products. When you get some time, make sure to add a few pictures to a review in our Customer Gallery review page. All entries are entered into our drawings for store credit and Visa gift cards throughout the year. You can submit your review here 

Keep up the great looking work on your build #SMDTFW #SecondSkinForTheWin 

Second Skin Tri Color.png

Whether you are restoring a classic muscle car, building an audio system monster, or trying to give yourself a bit of silent luxury on your daily commute, we have a product or combination of products that will help you achieve your goals while saving money and save time. Look around our site, educate yourself and make the choice that is right for you.

Over built to over perform - because user error, bad batch, and faulty install are excuses that other companies use!

468x60.png

Archived