Sundown Audio

New amp break in and tuning question.

buildinggam

Good morning everyone, I just pulled the trigger and bought an Orion xtr1500.1d and since this will be my first new amp in around twelve years I had two questions.  

1. Do amps need a break in period like subs do and if so what should I do to break in this amp?

2. Do any of the members here know of any places around the San Carlos, San Mateo area that they trust for tuning an amp?  I have a dmm but want to actually get it professionally done so I know it's right.

Ya never heard about breaking in amps either. It's really hard to find shops that tune any other way besides ear. If you don't mind traveling a bit there's a shop here in Vacaville that mainly focus on SQ builds and I know for a fact tune properly. As in using an rta and stuff.  http://audio-xperts.com

Would that be the amp itself "breaking in" or the speakers "loosening up" after being driven by the amp that would make the sound better?

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

Break in for subs is a real thing, you just do anything other than use them as your normally would. You don’t have to go easy on them, play them free air, or anything else other than put them in anf go. I haven’t heard of breaking in amps but I have no idea why it would be different for them.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

10 hours ago, Markous said:

Would that be the amp itself "breaking in" or the speakers "loosening up" after being driven by the amp that would make the sound better?

Well breaking in a speaker is generally the break in period or loosing of the suspension. Depending on the components used this is quick or slow so to speak. Amplifiers on the other hand depending on the components used generally the break in allows for a lower noise floor and higher measure sound quality to some. Most won't even notice the difference. 

Archived