Second Skin Audio

Sealed Enclosure Help RE XXX 15

ditch

I am building a box, most likely a sealed box... still trying to decide.

I like good hard bass and primarily listen to rock, country and occasionally a little rap ish music.  I like it Low but I also want it loud and punchy.  I do not have a PC to run Winisd, Bass Box or any of the other programs, only an iPad and a MacBook. 

RE specs the optimal sealed box at 2.1 ft3 and it just seems too small.  I have read so many forums and posts including here regarding acoustic suspension and not to exceed Qms (3.62).  But,  the Vas is 207 L (7.31ft3), I have some space but not refrigerator size space.  I have been leaning toward a 3.5 to 3.75 ft3 box as the sub displacement is .27 ft3 rated at 2000 watts.  I have read about rolloff associated with a larger box, softer, less punchy bass and using Polyfill to reduce some wave issues and to trick the speaker.  My brain hurts...I am as close to totally confused as I can be and I have read so many different forums with so many varying opinions.

So finally my first question is how big should I make the box for a good tight, punchy, hopefully reasonably low Bass?

If someone could run Frequency response numbers on  2.1 (RE recommended optimum size),  2.5 and 2.75 ft3 sealed enclosures I would be very grateful.  Depending on which cut sheet you look at there are different numbers on this driver.  Unfortunately the tech support is not too great.

Fs 21.52Hz

Qms 6.401

Vas 3.837 cu ft

Xmax 2.3 in

Sd 128.6 sq in

Qes .38

Re 1.716 Ohms

Le 2.017 mH

Z 2.059 ohms

Pe 2000 Watts

Second part (sorry for the long post) I am trying to decide between 3 Amps.
1. Sundown SCV-3000 which has plenty of positive reviews.
2. Soundqubed 4500.1. Limited reviews I just saw a thread on here that noted 10% THD... Holy cow, this ones out
3. CT Sounds 4000.1 also limited reviews

4. I like the incriminator IA30.1 but don't really want to shell out that much if I don't have to do so.

I have looked at a ton of these and these seem to be pretty good Amps and in the price range I am willing to spend, roughly $800.

I would really appreciate some Pro advice, thank you so much for taking the time to read this post.

Sealed boxes are not very sensitive to changes in volume.  It is extremely unlikely you will be able to hear any difference at all between a 2.1 cu ft box and a 2.75 cu ft box.  Here are the 2.1, 2.5, and 2.75 cu ft boxes compared in WinISD:

image.png.8d6867af909ca72a5002b970bbd793cf.png

The blue line is the 2.1, the yellow the 2.5, and the red the 2.75.  At 30 Hz there is only .3 dB of difference between the 2.1 cu ft and the 2.75 cu ft.  

If it were me, I'd just build whichever size fits your space best. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

5 minutes ago, ditch said:

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your response!!!

I just ordered the Sundown SCV-3000 yesterday and needed to get with this project asap.

I really appreciate your help!!!

Cheers!

No prob, glad I could help. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived