Sonic Electronix

after installing my Rockford prime 500 and my p3 Rockford  it played about 2 mins max before going into protection mode.so I check my wiring on the amp and subwoofer.and I also noticed the sub was moving but no sound..this was at 2 ohm.i then put my alpine sub back in and it played just fine but it was at 4 ohm...so I'm kinda confused /either the amp is messed up at 2 ohm or the sub is messed up somehow.if the amp runs fine at 4 ohm and not at 2ohm then shouldn't it do the same at 4 ohm......sorry if this is confusing but I'm confused 

Sounds like something is not wired correctly to me. Perhaps the impedance is too low sending the amp into protect? What kind of P3 is it? Dual 2ohm or dual 4ohm voice coils?

Use this to help you wire up the P3 properly: http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/support/wiring-wizard/

You will want to wire it so that it matches the recommended impedance of your amplifier. 

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

RF Power T1000 BDCP

RF Punch 400-4

2 P2D4 12's

it the dual 4 ohm wired to 2 ohm  amp is the prime 500.everything is wired right I have rechecked everything 3 or 4 times....the thing that gets me is the sub plays great when wired to 8 ohm but at 2 ohm it starts doing this....and now the amp don't go into protection mode  but the sub is still  moving .it does it worse when the car is running that's why I think it my amp

Interesting. That is the mono amp correct. It is rated at 2ohm so it should be fine running at such. If it is playing fine at 8ohm, but not at 2 then it sounds like the amp is fine. Perhaps there is a speaker wire grounding some where that you are not seeing? Im not sure, sorry. Wish I could be of more help. Hopefully someone with a little more expertise will chime in soon.

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

RF Power T1000 BDCP

RF Punch 400-4

2 P2D4 12's

You can check the voice coil impedance of your speaker using digital multimeter. Remove the speaker, place it magnet down on a flat surface. Set your multimeter to ohms (upside down horseshoe). Insert the test probs in the + - speaker terminal of one voice coil. Should read around 3.7ohm. Do the same to the other voice coil. They should both read around the same

i did a check on the p3 impedance each side is showing 3.7-3.8   and when wired it shows  2   I also called them again and they are gonna replace the sub cause they said the voice coil was defected when it starts to play...since my amp plays the alpine at 4 ohm well they see no issue with the amp and if all else fails and the new sub does the same then they will replace the amp

Archived