Second Skin Audio

Dc xl smelly

tmoney09

So this is day 2 of having the dc xl. I'm using a soundqubed 2200 amplifier. I've had a fi bl hooked up to this amp as well as a fi neo q and never smelled this odd smell. It smells almost like burnt electrical but the amplifier is cool to the touch. The dust cap of the xl may get fairly warmish but not oh my god warm and definitely not hot. The xl is supposed to take 2200 rms but it's getting smelly when my fi subs take 1750 rms but never smelled. Backed down on the gains, flattened the eq, zero bass boost, and still getting this smell. Checked my wiring everything is good there. Not getting voltage drop stays at around 13.8 to 14. I'm completely stumped on this one. Are dc subs normally this smelly when brand new because I really feel my gains are fairly conservative to be burning 2200 rms coils

U might just be smelling the glue , I’d beatem up for a week .

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Distortion is the number 1 killer in subs.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Well before I backed down on the gains I just went by ear like I always have. I unhooked my fi and hooked up the dc and just dropped it in since the dc being a beefier sub I figured current settings wouldn't hurt it at all. My fi never smelled even when I cranked it to where it was obvious it was clipping. I even had a kicker cvx hooked up at one point and it didn't smell. It did bottom out a few times though but it was just a temp sub until the fi arrived. Since I kept getting the smell I looked up how to set the gain by dmm since I don't have a d1 or an oscilloscope. The dc is a dual 2 ohm and I have it wired down to 1 ohm just like I had the fi bl. The amp does 2300 at 1 ohm so I flatted the eq and made sure bass boost and all of that was turned off. The pioneer I have goes to 62. First attempt I turned the volume to 45 and tried to match 47 a.c. current since the square root of 2300 is 47 unless I did my math wrong. At 45 volume even with gain all the way up it wouldn't match 47 volts. So I upped it to 55 on the deck and matched the gain to 47 volts and it still smells. I'm not sure if the dc doesn't like the enclosure but the reason I got it was because I was told the dc prefers smaller enclosures. It's an t shaped box so my calculations on the cubic foot or not spot on but it's between 3-3.15 c.f. just odd that the fi didn't produce that kinda smell even when the dust cap got fairly warm sometimes to warm for my comfort yet the dc can be cool to the touch or just mildly warm and the smell is just wow. My fi wasnt even fully loaded but when it was brand new it didn't smell or at least I never noticed. I took the sub out today and put my nose by the coils and couldn't pick up on the smell but I can smell it in the box and it lingers more noticeable with the windows down

I was actually looking to get one but they were out of stock. I'm iffy on getting a cheap oscilloscope. I'm hoping it is just some glue burning but I plan on building a new box with a 6 inch diameter aero 17 inches long. The box I have now was a rush job but it sounds good. But my tuning could be way out of whack because at the time of putting in the port I had my calculations off. I based my calculations combining the back end dimensions of the box with the front end if that makes sense..but I didn't account for the extra inch and a half that the wood would take up as empty space if that makes sense..So the box had more internal volume than I anticipated when I measured out the port..it could have some effect of the sub..it just never bothered the bl..if the dc does pop I guess I still have the bl on standy..hoping it doesn't come to that though that dc wasn't cheap

Had to build it strangely not much room in a 370z ? but I just measured the long thin rectangular dimensions and the cube shaped dimensions and combined them to come up with my internal volume..Had to mount the sub cock eyed to keep it out of the way of the vent..another reason why I want to build a different enclosure I like stuff centered and that bugs the **** out of me

Screenshot_20180216-233831.png

Archived