Second Skin Audio

Dc xl smelly

tmoney09

8 hours ago, tmoney09 said:

I was actually looking to get one but they were out of stock. I'm iffy on getting a cheap oscilloscope.

I have a hand full of DD-1's in stock right now, Im pretty sure I am the only one with them in stock since my site is fairly new and not well known yet.

https://www.audiofanaticz.com/smd-tools/smd-distortion-detector-dd-1

As for the glue melting off comments, I can venture to say that is not the case and here is why.
Most the adhesives used to build subwoofers have a very high temp rating 250+ degrees Fahrenheit (some even 500 degrees).
These temperatures are pretty high, higher than your sub is going to get in the mass majority of scenarios, and for the glue to gas off and become stinky like that then you got more major problems because the thing is probably already fried, or going to have other major issues with the soft parts.

Now the coating on the coil is most likely what your smelling and the reason its getting hot is due to it being clipped.

An amplifier runs on DC voltage/amperage but it gets converted to AC voltage/amperage which is what actually makes your speakers move.

An amplifiers output is high ac voltage and very low ac current. Its easy for tiny wires to handle a lot of ac voltage, but when you start feeding lots of ac amperage through those tiny wires they get hot, and get hot quick.

Essentially when you are clipping your sending a square wave to your sub which includes a lot of amperage that the voicecoil which the voice coil would see very little off which is causing heat, and in return the stinky.

Depending on the coating of the coil some can take more or less of this, due it too much and you will cook the coating right off and the coil fall apart as some would say "they slinkyied their coil", meaning the wires that where once wrapped around the voice coil former have let go and are all unraveled like a slinky.

Sometimes the coil doesn't slinky but you get a huge chunk that blows out the side of the coil from the clipping.

So I just thought of this..in the picture you can see the wire running from the speaker terminals..I don't recall what gauge it is but I have a smaller wire than that going to the speaker terminals..when I get a chance I'll pull the sub out and snap a pic of the wires that are connected to the sub but I'm thinking maybe they are too small and the sub isn't liking it..it was some bs wire from Wal-Mart I bought on the fly..I think it's copper too

The color of the coil means nothing really. 

I have brand new coils laying around that never been put in a woofer let alone ever seen power that are pure black.

Its the color of the coatings on the voice coil wire, those coatings keeps the wires from not making contact with each other, and is also bonding them together on the voice coil former.
These coatings will differ in color from one another for a few different reasons, such as the type of product, how long it was baked for on the wire, etc.

Plus those are aluminum wire voice coils, so the whole copper wire vs dark color theory people use can be thrown out the window.

12awg wire wouldnt make it stink. but you are on the  boarderline of it.

12awg is good for about 1900 watts, however that is at a 100ish foot piece, so a piece of 12 gauge that is only a few feet long is not really going to be an issue, but Id probably still use 10awg.

You should take a picture of how you have it wired up. For instance, one of my buddies wired his sub wrong by connecting his positive to the wrong negative terminal on the sub.

See example picture:

1ohm-at-amp-sub-wiring.jpg

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

Archived