Second Skin Audio

Tips on building a wall

TimV

Hello, I'm looking into building my own sub wall for 2 15" zv4s. I understand normal box builds and how they work, however I get confused when it comes down to determining ft^3 and tuning with a wall. 

I've watched countless videos, but they never seem to go into detail on the specs and how to calculate them. 

Also, I would like to eventually put 2 more 15s in without having to change the entire set up. (If that's possible)

Any tips or references to any blogs would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Firstly, a full wall for 2 15's is basically pointless. I would rock a 2 15's slide in box (meaning a box you can take in and out without much effort where as a wall will be bolted to the floor for safety) then build the wall when getting the other 2. To make a wall that only 2 15's go in would be basically 2 stacked 2 15's boxes anyway trimmed out to look like a wall. (which has been done successfully, 2 identical boxes bolted together).

The tuning and cubic "footage" of a wall is the same as a ported box (as long as it is a standard ported box). Per 15 you generally want 3-3.5 cubic feet after displacement, and port area is kinda depending on what style of music or goals you have for it as well as power applied to them.

This is a great place to start, many many many members here like myself have built multiple walls with our own bare hands, and had our screw ups as well as epiphany moments.

If you want to add more detail to your questions or even give us a vehicle model, or better yet, max dimensions, we could probably help with a possible design as well as a good way to try and tackle building it (tools, tricks, tips, etc.)

Welcome to the forum btw.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

On 2/18/2018 at 6:33 PM, ChevyBoy95 said:

Firstly, a full wall for 2 15's is basically pointless. I would rock a 2 15's slide in box (meaning a box you can take in and out without much effort where as a wall will be bolted to the floor for safety) then build the wall when getting the other 2. To make a wall that only 2 15's go in would be basically 2 stacked 2 15's boxes anyway trimmed out to look like a wall. (which has been done successfully, 2 identical boxes bolted together).

The tuning and cubic "footage" of a wall is the same as a ported box (as long as it is a standard ported box). Per 15 you generally want 3-3.5 cubic feet after displacement, and port area is kinda depending on what style of music or goals you have for it as well as power applied to them.

This is a great place to start, many many many members here like myself have built multiple walls with our own bare hands, and had our screw ups as well as epiphany moments.

If you want to add more detail to your questions or even give us a vehicle model, or better yet, max dimensions, we could probably help with a possible design as well as a good way to try and tackle building it (tools, tricks, tips, etc.)

Welcome to the forum btw.

Thank you so much for the information and welcoming! So basically I just make a normal box for the 2 then fit it in as a wall. 

I'm putting into an 02 chevy cavalier, and I believe the boundaries are around                        Width-2240mm Height-1050mm Length-670

1 hour ago, TimV said:

Thank you so much for the information and welcoming! So basically I just make a normal box for the 2 then fit it in as a wall. 

I'm putting into an 02 chevy cavalier, and I believe the boundaries are around                        Width-2240mm Height-1050mm Length-670

Might want to double check those dimensions. 2240mm is really really big for being an inside vehicle dimension.

And whether you can make a single 2 15's box, then make another and stack them depends on the vehicle. With a cavalier you might have to build within the vehicle to get enough volume. As another option, you could build the 4 15's wall and plug 2 of the holes, but you just couldnt run the 2 15's hard because they would be in a huge box (therefore it wouldnt take much power to overdrive them), but you would still get some decent bass to hold you over if you have some control.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

9 hours ago, ChevyBoy95 said:

Might want to double check those dimensions. 2240mm is really really big for being an inside vehicle dimension.

And whether you can make a single 2 15's box, then make another and stack them depends on the vehicle. With a cavalier you might have to build within the vehicle to get enough volume. As another option, you could build the 4 15's wall and plug 2 of the holes, but you just couldnt run the 2 15's hard because they would be in a huge box (therefore it wouldnt take much power to overdrive them), but you would still get some decent bass to hold you over if you have some control.

Alright, I'll retake those dimensions later and fix that up. Thanks for the options, that cleared something's up!

Archived