Second Skin Audio

Bandpass for 8" subs?

buildinggam

Good morning people, I had a question about a bandpass for 8" subs.  I recently had my setup up tuned by a member here using the dd1 and cc1.  I currently have an American bass xd1244 in a 1.75cuft box tuned to 32hz being pushed by an Orion xtr1500.1 at 2ohm, my sub is on it's way out and I will have to replace it eventually.  The member that tuned my stuff had a 15" sub in a 4th order bandpass getting 700w and it sounded awesome.  I know bandpass boxes are usually very large but was wondering if I could get alot of spl using 1 or 2 8" subs in a smaller bandpass box as I don't want to take up my whole trunk.  Current box is 15.5h x 30w x 12d.  Could I active this while maintaining a similar footprint?

Ported boxes are USUALLY going to get you the most performance for the space.  Unless you have a really good reason to go with a band pass box, I’d stick with ported. 

How much port area does your current box have?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Joe x gave the measurements for my box but this is what he gave me.  I'm sure the final product is off because I don't have access to most of the tools needed to build it.  

Don't get me wrong I love it, I was just curious about the bandpass because I know you can tune each side for a different frequency.

pio.jpg

3 hours ago, buildinggam said:

Joe x gave the measurements for my box but this is what he gave me.  I'm sure the final product is off because I don't have access to most of the tools needed to build it.  

Don't get me wrong I love it, I was just curious about the bandpass because I know you can tune each side for a different frequency.

pio.jpg

Ok your current box should be good to go then.  The reason I was asking was to find out if you had like a single 4" port or some other reason why your output would be lower than it should be.  

As far as tuning to different frequencies, to do that you will need a 6th order bandpass box.  4th order bandpass boxes only have one tuning frequency.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

So rather than make a new thread I figure I would just revive this one and was looking for clarification to see if i understand the principals of a 4th order.  From what I've been reading the sealed portion of the box handles the lows for an example lets say 35hz.  Now the ported side it tuned more for high notes lets say 60hz.  Where I lose some understanding is you can make the box be peaky in the narrow ranges of say 35hz and 50hz or does the box excel in the range between 35hz and 60hz?

I've been rolling the idea around about the bandpass because my current box does awesome for rap and hip hop but when I listen to rock music I find myself wanting more low end.  I remember I use to have one of those dual bandpass boxes with 2 12s that bestbuy use to sell with the blue LEDs in them when I first got a system and remember that it did an alright job with most types of music.

I have been looking into subs also for when my current one decides to go out and was wondering if a ct sounds meso 8 would handle my xtr amp.  For an enclosure the manufacture recomends a .30cuft sealed and a .50 to .75cuft ported.  So if I was to use those recommendations and build a box that was 7w x 14h x 9.25d (.308cuft) sealed and 14w x 14h x 9.25d (0.70cuft) with a port thats 8.79" long .75" wide and 12.5" high which would tune me at 60hz (total size 21x14x9.25) would it be a good daily for like any type of music?  Or am i just completely missing the idea behind a bandpass enclosure?

4th order bandpass boxes can be peaky, or they can have a broad bandwidth, it just depends on how they are designed.  Keep in mind that everything is a tradeoff, so to get a broad bandwidth you have to sacrifice some efficiency.  

When it comes to designing a bandpass box you can't just take the sealed and ported box specs and throw those together and hope for the best.  Bandpass boxes need to be designed for the specific application they will be used for if you want good results.  Even then they still have significant disadvantages.  My personal opinion is that unless you need a 4th order bandpass box because you need to put all the output through a port (like for a blowthrough) you will probably get better performance from a regular sealed box.  

Builds:

Archived