Hey everyone, i have been looking into doing the best SQ build i could make as a big, long term, project of mine. obviously i don't have the money currently for the build so this will take many years to build up and get everything exactly the way i want.  i haven't been able to test out any brands myself since there are few good audio shops close to me to go visit. so what are your opinions on the best brands for Component speakers, amps, subs, signal processors, and head units that would have the ability to produce the top of the line quality sound? money is no object in this build so there are no limits to the expenses. (i understand that SQ is different based from person to person, i just need a general direction to begin researching and then i will begin searching out places where i can test these brands for myself) i have a 2015 Dodge Dart SE, and once i begin this project i will completely tear everything out of the car and start from the sheet metal and go up from there with deadening, proper wiring, etc...i have looked into a double din touch screen head unit with 1, possibly 2, 6.5's in each door and several high range tweeters placed between the door panels and my front and rear dash. i plan on having 2 12's in the trunk, most likely forward facing into the cab. (i haven't worked out a lot of the specifics with this build since this is my first time seriously looking into this, so any and all recommendations on the best way to go about a SQ build, and brands to look into are appreciated!)

Mosconi amps the AS line, or Zero line. Linear Power amps. Zapco Z-LX line of amps. There are many more brands that will be mentioned, but thats the three i considered. I went with mosconi for the front stage and oldschool linear power for the subs. 

Front stage speakers....Morel, Focal, Hertz, Blues(Linear power), Hybrid Audio Technologies, Illusion Audio. Thats all i can think of, there are many more brands im sure. I went with Hybrid Audio Technologies Legatia SE 8in, 4in and Legatia L1 Pro R2 tweeters.

Sub Stage I just went with Hybrid audio because they had 15s and they look sleak and a lil unique with the reversed surround, gloss black cone. Im not too sure what other SQ type subs there are. I know Blues has subs up to 10s i think. Illusion has 12s. Not sure about others. 

SQ Headunits could be the Pioneer 80prs or p99rs. Sony RSX-GS9. There are some oldschool ones too but thats a whole different issue. 

Processors you can check out Mosconi dsp pros the 6to8 or the 8to12. Also they have the Aerospace dsp in the same 6/8 or 8/12 configurations. Another dsp to check out would be the Rockford Fosgage 3sixty.3. Also check out Audio Control, they have good quality equipment and alot of tuning equipment, good processors.

As everyone will tell you, its all about the install and tune when u want SQ. You could make the best SQ equipment sound like shit with a shitty install and horrible tune or vise versa Seems like you know that already, so ill stop with that. 

I started buying equipment for my SQ build on 7/31/2016 lol. First piece was a high output alternator from mechman. Been ordering things since then. Ordered more shit yesturday too and still need more stuff lol. Mostly supplies type stuff. The biggest hangup i have is getting the extra time/daylight. I only have one car, so i cant have it in pieces for much longer than a day. Make sure you have the right tools too. Have fun with ur build man. When u get it started, create a Build Log in the “members rides and builds” area of the forum. 

13 hours ago, 06RTCharger said:

Mosconi amps the AS line, or Zero line. Linear Power amps. Zapco Z-LX line of amps. There are many more brands that will be mentioned, but thats the three i considered. I went with mosconi for the front stage and oldschool linear power for the subs. 

Front stage speakers....Morel, Focal, Hertz, Blues(Linear power), Hybrid Audio Technologies, Illusion Audio. Thats all i can think of, there are many more brands im sure. I went with Hybrid Audio Technologies Legatia SE 8in, 4in and Legatia L1 Pro R2 tweeters.

Sub Stage I just went with Hybrid audio because they had 15s and they look sleak and a lil unique with the reversed surround, gloss black cone. Im not too sure what other SQ type subs there are. I know Blues has subs up to 10s i think. Illusion has 12s. Not sure about others. 

SQ Headunits could be the Pioneer 80prs or p99rs. Sony RSX-GS9. There are some oldschool ones too but thats a whole different issue. 

Processors you can check out Mosconi dsp pros the 6to8 or the 8to12. Also they have the Aerospace dsp in the same 6/8 or 8/12 configurations. Another dsp to check out would be the Rockford Fosgage 3sixty.3. Also check out Audio Control, they have good quality equipment and alot of tuning equipment, good processors.

As everyone will tell you, its all about the install and tune when u want SQ. You could make the best SQ equipment sound like shit with a shitty install and horrible tune or vise versa Seems like you know that already, so ill stop with that. 

I started buying equipment for my SQ build on 7/31/2016 lol. First piece was a high output alternator from mechman. Been ordering things since then. Ordered more shit yesturday too and still need more stuff lol. Mostly supplies type stuff. The biggest hangup i have is getting the extra time/daylight. I only have one car, so i cant have it in pieces for much longer than a day. Make sure you have the right tools too. Have fun with ur build man. When u get it started, create a Build Log in the “members rides and builds” area of the forum. 

I will definitely be doing a Build Log when i get around to having the money, time and my own space to work on this project. i'm in college right now and i have 1 more year to go, so i should be able to start on everything once i graduate and have a steady income because i am just struggling to get food and the occasional audio upgrade to my current system right now?? but thanks for the tips! ill definitely be doing research on what you mentioned

• 1 month later...

I spent a lot of time and money on equipment and then realized some very basic things. (this is all my opinion and of course is subjective) Also dunno your background but ignore the below as needed based on your experience. I would do things in this order too.

I would get a nice front stage 6.5" component set, run the speakers active using the integrated crossovers on the amplifier and run a dual 8" or dual 12" or single 15" sub stage with a single Din deck. Run a FiiO digital music player or something that can play FLAC files via the AUX port with a small portable headphone amp or cds...those work too.

1) Electrical- 150amp alternator or higher (Brands: mechman and singer) and do a big three upgrade and upgraded wiring (brands: Sky High Car Audio, CE Electric Supply) also a good battery from XSpower or Interstate I have had good luck with.

2) Sound dampening- not just butyl heavy crap, you multilayer butyl, foam and mass loaded vinyl and other products. Different uses for different products RAAM has some write-ups on their site and Secondskin has info on this forum too (Brands: RAAMaudio, SecondSkin, foammart, CAE)

3) a simple-ish 2-way component setup (Brands: what 06RTCharger said, Hybrid and Hertz have my eye at the moment if you want to get fancy look at partsexpress/madisound/creative sound solutions etc. for tweeter and woofer separates)

4) Amps, look for Class-AB amps, they are better for SQ/don't have some sonic disadvantages that Class-D does. That's my opinion...and one held by people actually building amps...but its not an absolute by any means...topology doesn't matter as much as good design and testing. I would get a 4 channel amplifier with integrated electronic crossovers...the zapco ST-4x and the ST line in general is really nice (brands: Zapco, Linear Power, Rockford Fosgate) and a mono sub amp (Brands: same as before, dc audio and amperage audio as well)

5) Pioneer and Alpine are my picks for head unit. Something with a 3v pre-out and at least three RCA pre-outs. I would stay away from a touchscreen and use my money elsewhere, that's my opinion though.

6)Subs....I mean theres a ton of them you can look at for SQ thought a highly efficient pro audio sub is hard to beat...but a lot of people will argue that for car audio applications. (Brands: FI, Dc Audio, Meade's signature line but right now I really like BMS out of Germany and TAD subs) Also I ended up playing with a JBL pro series 2235H which I really like.

7) personally think this is essential but measurement equipment, a multi-meter, CC-1, DD-1 for setting gains and crossover frequencies. Add a measurement microphone and REW software later and if you want to get crazy a Siglent Osciliscope... <--learning curve.

Whatever you plan on for install parts and pricing double it....the misc. parts you need to do a good install always ends up being a FUCKTON of money if you do it right. This is all assuming you have the tools to build your own box and install everything. Mark at Car Audio Fabrication has a tons of install vids that are good.

3 hours ago, aculous said:

Run a FiiO digital music player or something that can play FLAC files via the AUX port with a small portable headphone amp or cds...those work too.

Isnt an aux connection limited on its ability to play higher quality files? Music sent through an aux connection has to be downsampled i believe. I’d stick with usb.

1 hour ago, 06RTCharger said:

Isnt an aux connection limited on its ability to play higher quality files? Music sent through an aux connection has to be downsampled i believe. I’d stick with usb.

There is an analog to digital conversion, USB uses a raw file. The FiiO X1 for example uses the Texas Instruments PCM5142 DAC and their other players use better DACs like say for example the ESS dac's. I was just using it as an easy player to use thats affordable but more importantly better than using a phone IMHO. 

QBest way to Start a build like this is to start a build log of the stock vehicle posting pics of the interior. good pics of the dash, doors, A-pillars, and kick panels will be best.

As far a subs go ??? Should be the last thought on the list with a SQ build because you want something to "complement" the stage and image setup.

Get to posting an good luck with your build.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

• 1 month later...

https://www.amazon.com/H600S-Diamond-Audio-Component-System/dp/B00A3JA7EC/

These are the shizzie.

If they work the same way they did back in the day, the crossovers have an output for rear fill, meaning you add a second set of midbasses to the same set up.  Then you can drive all of this off of one nice two channel amp.   The extra mids could go in the doors if you have the space, or the rear.  I had the components in front and I always wanted to build the rest of that set up, but you know, life & such...

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2018 at 10:57 AM, Liquid Arthur said:

https://www.amazon.com/H600S-Diamond-Audio-Component-System/dp/B00A3JA7EC/

These are the shizzie.

If they work the same way they did back in the day, the crossovers have an output for rear fill, meaning you add a second set of midbasses to the same set up.  Then you can drive all of this off of one nice two channel amp.   The extra mids could go in the doors if you have the space, or the rear.  I had the components in front and I always wanted to build the rest of that set up, but you know, life & such...

I'm by no means a SQ guy. Way over my head, but when I think of nice SQ setups, the use of a  passive xover network, doesn't exist,  dont even get me started on "rear fill" .. ..

Just me ...

Archived