Sundown Audio

Looking for hefty amp for 4 15's?

LOWrider

In my daily driver, I have 4 "15 old school Treo dual 2's in a wall (my dad's old comp truck). I wants to buy a HCCA5000.1DSPL Orion and run it a .5ohms to max out the subs (and probably watch them catch on fire, honestly lol). Is there a way to wire up the 4 dual 2 subs to get .5ohms to the one amp? I don't think there is a way, but you guys would know. Currently have 4 Memphis 16-st1000d's, all wired at (I think) .5Ohm. Maybe 1, but I think I've got em at .5 Only reason I'm finally looking to really crank up the power is because one of the Memphis's decided it had enough and made it look like I was in a hotbox, there was so much smoke. Not really a question for this thread, but since I'm thinking about it, any clue why the memphis just fizzled? I haven't opened it up yet, but I was just sitting in a drive thru, all subs on and only at about 1/10th max volume and maybe 10% gain. Made no sense, but it got so hot all of a sudden it burned my finger nicely when I touched it.. still have no clue why it fried.

Forgot to mention, just throwing it out there, the subs are Treo's SSX15.22's

The first thing you need to get is a multimeter.  And then read more about audio electrical.  bcae.com is a good place to start.

If you have D2 subs, then each amp is seeing 1 ohm, not 0.5.

Also, judging from your previous posts, I suspect you messing with your gains on the amps without understanding whats happening is why one broke.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

Gain is not a volume knob. It used "match" two things together.

10% gain isnt 10% amplifier power. In once case 10% gain could be the perfect setting to get 5000w out of a 5000w amp, or in another case 10% would get you 1250w from a 5000w amp. It depends on the preout voltage from the radio being sent to the amplifier.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

4 hours ago, WalledSonic said:

The first thing you need to get is a multimeter.  And then read more about audio electrical.  bcae.com is a good place to start.

If you have D2 subs, then each amp is seeing 1 ohm, not 0.5.

Also, judging from your previous posts, I suspect you messing with your gains on the amps without understanding whats happening is why one broke.

Have the multimeter, and while getting it all set up a few months back we checked and it they registered at 0.5. I definitely don't have a great grasp on all of the wiring, as this build was done 15 years ago, we just revived it last summer. I'm learning hands on form my dad whenever something breaks. And I suppose you're right with jacking with the gains without a full understanding, though I realize I could have used an improper term. It's my universal bass knob, I'm not adjusting a knob on each individual amp. But I don't think that explains why only 1 of the 4 amps broke, that's what didn't make a whole lot of sense. 

6 hours ago, mathewyocham said:

Have you looked at the skar rp4500.1? Should run all 4 woofers np. If your woofers are d2 you can wire all 4 to 1 ohm.

I'll give it a look, thanks man. Appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Picking up four Skar RP2000's in half an hour. Now to figure out a power solution.. a couple car batteries and a 15 year old 120 amp alternator aren't going to do much for me.

Nice. Look at xs power and kinetik. You can also get any large agm that your local auto store offers. Sometimes they are cheaper. Mechman is a solid choice for a ho alt. Great products and customer service. Plenty of other options tho too. Just dont buy an ebay alt.

8 hours ago, mathewyocham said:

Nice. Look at xs power and kinetik. You can also get any large agm that your local auto store offers. Sometimes they are cheaper. Mechman is a solid choice for a ho alt. Great products and customer service. Plenty of other options tho too. Just dont buy an ebay alt.

I was suggested XS by the box builder I bought the amps from, and the guys at Skar HQ in Tampa. When it comes to the alternator, my dad (he bought the truck when he was 17 and gave it to me when I turned 17) had taken it (1991 Isuzu pickup) to a couple of guys who specialized in making brackets, and they all said there wasn't enough room for anything bigger than this 120. But the box builder I got these from said to bring it down when he's free and he's pretty sure he can shove a bigger one in there (he's been doing box building for years and used to do some competitions himself. He's also done some box work with J Price himself). I was thinking about going between batteries and an alt (because I am on a budget, for now) and I was leaning towards batteries, in case I move to a new vehicle. 

Archived