lithium ah vs agm ah

On 3/8/2019 at 9:59 PM, snb778 said:

hoping someone responds to this, but for those of us who aren't as technically educated, I'd love if one of you can break down for your average joe, is running a 2000-3000W system on a stock alt with a lithium ion battery a better idea than spending 1K on 2-4 AGM batteries and hassling with upgrading the Alt.  

I second this.

For around the same total price, is lithium better than AGM, and why? Because we are talking about hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars more for lithium. Why why why? 

I get the weight advantage. I understand lithium has a charging rate disadvatage. Now the other important aspects of battery power are discharge rate, capacity, and lifespan. So how do those compare to AGM of a similar overall cost. Let's say for example you bought $500 worth of AGM batts and $500 worth of lithium batts (assume trustworthy brands). 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well at this point lithium is fairly new. Most people only know about limitless and JY because they are the big names. As technologies are becoming available we have to learn them to adapt. I think JY and limitless are outdated at this point because you can get way better for way less but it doesn't look as pretty. Below will be an example of my 45 ah cells that I have $450 in each bank and they are good for 8-10k clamped with moderate alt support. As the technologies improve agm is going further and further on the back burner. Lithium isn't expensive anymore if you know what you are looking for.

AFds4hI.jpg

Sitting around waiting to be installed:

4 FI X 10

270 CES alt

D3400/73ah lithium

AA 3800.1

(2) AA 75.4

2 hours ago, Wishuponasub said:

Well at this point lithium is fairly new. Most people only know about limitless and JY because they are the big names. As technologies are becoming available we have to learn them to adapt. I think JY and limitless are outdated at this point because you can get way better for way less but it doesn't look as pretty. Below will be an example of my 45 ah cells that I have $450 in each bank and they are good for 8-10k clamped with moderate alt support. As the technologies improve agm is going further and further on the back burner. Lithium isn't expensive anymore if you know what you are looking for.

AFds4hI.jpg

Are those the Veachium cells? I have 75 LTO cells rt now and a buddy has 75 also. We were going to case and balance them to profit but they're selling for so cheap we might have wasted our money lol. I can't use them in my navigator until I get my second alternator because you can't mix these ones with AGM so I just got a few full throttle AGM yesterday... Might wait on lithium another year. 

• 3 months later...
On 2/28/2018 at 12:51 PM, Mr DeeBeez said:

I’ve always been told that 10ah of lithium is comparable to 100ah in agm. I don’t know a whole bunch about lithium, so I’ll let someone else chime in who is more knowledgable about the discharge rates etc. But I know the weight savings can be a big benefit. Much easier to have one 10 pound battery that can power your whole system, vs 6 huge 80+ pound batteries. Saves room and less strain on your car hauling around all that weight. 

I have 6 xp3000’s which weigh about 500 pounds. Would much prefer a  20 pound lithium than all the agm’s. 

Can you use a limitless battery to replace the cars startup battery? I want to replace my running  battery with a lithium battery,  would it work?

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...
37 minutes ago, Gunnem said:

lithium at the end of 2020.  this thread shows how it all began for us lol

the lithium math in this thread dont really make sense anymore to me because look at this thing with 10ah but its for 5k?

titan8 from XS power at $600-$700 usd

Weight Lbs. – 8lbs
Weight Kgs. – 3.63kgs

Length – 7.4 in
Height – 5 in
Width – 4.85 in

Voltage – 12V
Wattage – 5,000
MAX Amps – 2,000
Energy Wh – 120
CA – 1,000A
CA Pb Eq – 1,500A
Ah – 10
Ah Pb Eq – 30

Titan8 Official Release - XS Power

PWR-S5-turn-1440x1130_570x570_crop_center.jpg?v=1578960350 

and the under hood versions that were rare when this thread was made....

PWR-S5-5100-turn_570x570_crop_center.jpg?v=1603984235

Love my titan 8. Pulled out a 55lb shuriken agm, installed my 5lb pwr-s5. 

‘16 ram. Net Audio. Taramps. JL. DS18.  Fox Acoustics. XS Power. 226.08” of DC Audio blue carbon fiber. 

Archived