Sundown Audio

Noise in system from remote gain control

I’m using the remote gain control and at high volume I get a thud sound from the subs, also does this any time the system is on say if I pull the wire that’s plugged in to the amp any. So I’m guessing the bass moves the wire . Is this common? I have use a few different wires all do this.

I had an issue with the gain knob in my daily making a "thud" noise with the subs and it turned out the knob was actually a little loose - I could move the knob a little bit back and forth and it would make the thud noise so I just disconnected the knob and haven't messed with it yet.

97 Suburban

8 custom PSI Platform 3 18's

1 minute ago, zack_e89 said:

I had an issue with the gain knob in my daily making a "thud" noise with the subs and it turned out the knob was actually a little loose - I could move the knob a little bit back and forth and it would make the thud noise so I just disconnected the knob and haven't messed with it yet.

Strange mine does it on the amp side, I really only like having it for the clipping light.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2018 at 4:42 PM, tbeats said:

Strange mine does it on the amp side, I really only like having it for the clipping light.

Is that to say when the cord for the bass knob is wiggled at the amp plug? Try to secure it at the amp so the plug cannot move and then wiggle the rest of the harness to see if it still makes noise, will at least narrow down where the issue is. I've had one bass knob that would make noise anytime it was adjusted, it was the potentiometer in the knob itself in my case.

01 Chevy Silverado X-cab

2 Sundown Z18v4 walled on 2 Lanzar Opti 7k's strapped at 1/2ohm = each amp wired to 1/4ohm. Havent checked impedence rise so not sure what they are actually seeing. 6 group 31AGM's.

2-Eclipse 34230's each one running 2 Eminence 6.5" Beta 6A. These are beastly mids rated at 350w program power. I was skeptical but the eclipse amps are 370w x 2 and when there was 4 mids on 1 amp I could push it into thermal protect within a song so added the 2nd amp. 

Eclipse 4212 running 4 CT sounds Meso tweeters. and 2 DLS ultimate tweeters up high to raise the soundstage.

96' Ford F350 4wd 4d long bed 7.3 diesel with 91k miles. Will be the sound quality rig if I can ever find the time.