Second Skin Audio

Kicker vs FI Audio/Pro Audio

I have my sub box that was built for me for a MMATS Juggernaut. I later replaced the juggernaut with a FI BTL in that same box. Both sounded amazing to me... I sold that BTL a few years ago and still have the box and I just got a 5 channel kicker amp for $50 that puts out 420 watts @2 OHMs for the subwoofer.

I was originally thinking on buying a Kicker L5 15” go go with that amp.... But now I’m wondering about using my box with a cheaper subwoofer like the Kicker Comp R. Has anyone listened to the Kicker L5 or Comp R? Do they sound similar to the subwoofers I owned in the past or do they sound bad? Or are there any other better budget subwoofers for my 420w amp in my box thats built for a 12” BTL?

I’m not sure but I think the box was tuned to either 32hz or 42hz, it’s a big box. I have had it for over 10 years so I forget the freq...

If u liked the fi get another one. Kicker has gotten pretty cheap with their woofers lately. I doubt it would compare to any fi.

The FI BTL cost five times more then the Kicker Comp R and twice as much as a Kicker L5. I’m not looking to get stupid loud so I have no need for an expensive sub that runs 2k watts. I actually wired my FI BTL to 2 ohms instead of .5 OHMs on my .5 OHM stable amp cause the base was bigtime overkill. I just want to know if these subwoofers sound good or not.

Yeah either sub would take that power as long as it's clean. In the end it would be up to you. I would go with FI over Kicker any day though. Not that kicker is terrible. It has a purpose. But I feel they are on different playing fields.

Sitting around waiting to be installed:

4 FI X 10

270 CES alt

D3400/73ah lithium

AA 3800.1

(2) AA 75.4

Archived