Sonic Electronix

My new Craftsman 4-Ton Jack Stands from Sears Wobble - Is this safe to use?

Hey guys, I've never used jack stands before and wanted to make sure these were safe to use before I try using them. I noticed the jack stand wobbles and one of the yellow stands had a potato looking paint job. I bought 2 pairs from Sears for $19.99 each on sale.

This is not a troll post. Would it be safe and leveled out once I put my car on the wobble jack stands? I think there are some excess paint at the bottom that needs smooshed?

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

26 minutes ago, omg_spoon said:

put the car on em and see. aint gotta be under it, fuck it man

I'm still waiting for my floorjack from harbor freights to arrive but I wanted to make sure these Craftsman Jack Stands are safe to use and didn't want to go over their return days policy.

I'm waiting for this in the mail: https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-daytona-professional-steel-floor-jack-super-duty-63183.html

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

They shouldn't be like that but when you have cheap chinese stuff it suffers from poor quality control, that being said id still feel safe using them, they arent going to wobble when you get weight on them.

But always check and make sure the vehicle is safe once its on the stands by giving it a good test shake before you get to work.

If you dont feel its safe put it back down on the ground and relocate the stands, don't ever gamble with it.

Also, never crawl under a car on stands if you are alone, if something happens, and it can, nobody will be there to help you and potentially save your life.

I always keep the jack in place too just as an extra precaution.

You can toss one of the wheels under there too, better to mess up a wheel than lose your life if the stand or jack fails.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

ive never seen jack stands that DONT wobble with no weight on them.  i thought it was just how they were.  but yeah, I've been using jack stands that wobble w/o weight for the better part of 20 years.  I'd rest the car on the 2 wiggly ones for a little while first, give the car a test bounce, then raise the car off em, slide em out and see if the unevenness improved.  if not, take em back.  the base of a jack stand is where the actual stability comes from, you want the 4 corners to be almost all on the ground.  adding 4000lbs to them helps them spread and settle a little, but yeah... try em out, then dont be afraid of taking them back if you dont feel safe

What Broke said!

Only I pile up 2 tires high right next to where Im going to go underneath if I got the wheels off

I have a similar pair of craftsman stands, and some other brand pair. Neither really wobble at all, maybe slight movements on level ground but never an issue with my 8500+ truck.

You will love that Dayton jack, I bought one last fall, its outrageously heavy for a floor jack so have fun lifting the thing.

l8mIkg.jpg

12 hours ago, Broke_Audio_Addict said:

They shouldn't be like that but when you have cheap chinese stuff it suffers from poor quality control, that being said id still feel safe using them, they arent going to wobble when you get weight on them.

But always check and make sure the vehicle is safe once its on the stands by giving it a good test shake before you get to work.

If you dont feel its safe put it back down on the ground and relocate the stands, don't ever gamble with it.

Also, never crawl under a car on stands if you are alone, if something happens, and it can, nobody will be there to help you and potentially save your life.

I always keep the jack in place too just as an extra precaution.

You can toss one of the wheels under there too, better to mess up a wheel than lose your life if the stand or jack fails.

Figured I'd toss in my process for getting under a vehicle

Use jack stands
Position the jack contacting the frame nearest to where you're working - it's not load bearing, it's just a secondary safety
Take the wheels off and put them under the lowest point of the vehicle. If both the jackstands and jack fail to catch the weight in the event of a fall, the wheels will stop it. 

Archived