Second Skin Audio

how to build a 6th order bandpass?

hey guys, i recently came into a pair of 18s and i really wanna try doing a band-pass box. the problem is i have no experience with them and have no idea where to start. so is there anyone on here that would be willing to tell me the dos and donts of building one? or if anybody knows of a good guide somewhere that details all the workings of designing one. the only band-pass i have every built was a 4th for two tens and i was extremely pleased with how it sounded. any help is greatly appreciated! 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6th order bandpass boxes can be fickle beasts.  They come in two flavors, parallel-tuned and series-tuned.  A parallel-tuned box is like two ported boxes with the sub sitting between them, both chambers are ported to the outside.  These are the easier of the two styles to get right and you can simulate them in WinISD.  A series-tuned box is like one ported box inside of another, only the front chamber is ported to the outside.  These cannot be simulated in WinISD, but can be with other software like BassBoxPro or HornResp.  

You will see guidelines floating around the Internet on how to design 6th order bandpass boxes, they will tell you things like what "ratio" to use and how much port area you need.  My personal opinion is that you do NOT trust those recommendations.  They are oversimplifications and as such they may not always be wrong, but they certainly are not always right.  6th order bandpass boxes are a lot more complicated than a regular ported box (especially series-tuned) and require more than a casual attempt to understand them if you want to come up with something that performs well. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

okay, I'd probably stick with doing a parallel tuned 6th. are there any "rules" you stick by? like which chamber should be bigger or if one should be tuned higher then the other? do you stick to the recommended volume for a ported box? i've been toying around with winisd and i think you want it really peaky right? I guess i should also my goals. I want a box that sounds good and loud i dont really care all that much about numbers although we do host some shows here and itd be cool if it could put something up on the board. i mostly want something that attracts attention and is just fun for people to sit in. with that being said i would like to try doing ports that i could change if i wanted to do some numbers. sorry i realize im kinda all over the map here haha. also this is going to be installed in a hatchback 

I'd be surprised if you have enough volume in the Mazda (323?) for (2) 18s in a 6th.  Check out Gary's build log, he has (2) 18s in a parallel 6th and he has a whole truck bed for it.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

Did someone say 2 18 6th order???..... mine is series tuned 6th and is 45 cuft gross if that gives you an idea of size...took about a year playing with ports and picking triticum and a few others brains to get it where it's at now.... does a 156+ Sealed on the dash....159+ door open on the dash...158+ at the head rest...160+ door open in the kick and my best psyclone run is a 152.5@ 20hz 30sec average....that's 2 subs on 12k ....new subs are in route as we speak and power is increasing so numbers should get alittle bigger?

2000 Suburban 6 runs of 2/0

12 timpano audio mids,6 timpana audio tweets and 1 timpano compression horn per door 

8 banks of blue Maxwells + 260ah of Yin Long LTOs 

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

mids amps 2  Crescendo Skyway 3ks 

Tweet amp Crossfire 2000.4

sub amp: 4 Crossfire XT 8ks

Subs: 8 18 in Crossfires in a 4th order

Best Scores at events…

161.6@38hz DBdrag  sealed on the dash… 162.54 outlaw…161.14 Meca headrest 

1 hour ago, bigmacjack said:

45cuft?????? holy moses! do series tuned need to be bigger then parallel? i really wanna do something cool with these guys and not just another ported box 

Both series-tuned and parallel-tuned 6th order boxes can get to be rather huge.  

For a parallel-tuned box the low chamber is going to be pretty similar in terms of size and tuning to what you would use for a ported box for those subs.  You might tune a bit lower, like 28-30 Hz.  For the high chamber I usually shoot for the tuning to be about an octave higher than the low chamber, and then I size it to get the frequency response I'm after.  The high chamber will be much smaller than the low chamber.   

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived