Second Skin Audio

how to build a 6th order bandpass?

1 minute ago, bigmacjack said:

meh... i wanna try something new and push myself a little more 

Theres a lot of information on this forum and some other forums about 6th orders. 

However, I would recommend playing with some subwoofer TS Parameters in some box design software and get the hang of designing.  Start with WinISD and the move on to BB6 or Hornresp, like Triticum recommended. Thats the best way to feel it out, other than spending a ton of time testing.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, bigmacjack said:

meh... i wanna try something new and push myself a little more 

I totally get it. I was just thinking of space constraints. Hell I have an idea for a box coating I wanna try. I have never seen it done and it's badass. Researching it now. So I totally understand.

Sitting around waiting to be installed:

4 FI X 10

270 CES alt

D3400/73ah lithium

AA 3800.1

(2) AA 75.4

1 hour ago, WalledSonic said:

Theres a lot of information on this forum and some other forums about 6th orders. 

However, I would recommend playing with some subwoofer TS Parameters in some box design software and get the hang of designing.  Start with WinISD and the move on to BB6 or Hornresp, like Triticum recommended. Thats the best way to feel it out, other than spending a ton of time testing.

is termpro a good one to use? i have that but i never really use it 

I designed my current box with termpro and it was off 7hz on tuning (33 turned into 26). I would not recommend termpro. Winisd alpha is free and we nailed my buddy’s 4th order with it. Havent done a parallel 6th in it though. 

You have two options here. Do like triticum said and learn the softwares or do like kalilac said and do a shit ton of testing. 6ths are fickle beasts (read the series 6th port area thread) and require a lot of iterations (whether in simulation or real world test) to get right. 

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2018 at 12:08 PM, Triticum Agricolam said:

Both series-tuned and parallel-tuned 6th order boxes can get to be rather huge.  

For a parallel-tuned box the low chamber is going to be pretty similar in terms of size and tuning to what you would use for a ported box for those subs.  You might tune a bit lower, like 28-30 Hz.  For the high chamber I usually shoot for the tuning to be about an octave higher than the low chamber, and then I size it to get the frequency response I'm after.  The high chamber will be much smaller than the low chamber.   

On 3/7/2018 at 9:38 AM, WalledSonic said:

I'd be surprised if you have enough volume in the Mazda (323?) for (2) 18s in a 6th.  Check out Gary's build log, he has (2) 18s in a parallel 6th and he has a whole truck bed for it.

is there any problem with using the same diameter port for each chamber? i feel like i've heard that somewhere? also i have given up on my 18 dream and im going to try doing 2 12s instead that way im not limited on what i can do with the box

8 minutes ago, bigmacjack said:

is there any problem with using the same diameter port for each chamber? i feel like i've heard that somewhere? also i have given up on my 18 dream and im going to try doing 2 12s instead that way im not limited on what i can do with the box

As long as the port is big enough for both chambers, you can use the same size port.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

3 hours ago, bigmacjack said:

i have lots of 6" pvc is that wide enough? im not sure if i can use your calculator for Bandpass 

This is a parallel-tuned 6th order, right?  If so my calc should work fine.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived