Second Skin Audio

4 Powerbass 1204d Subs 1200 watts Trailblazer Box Help Please

Hi all, I keep getting completely different answers every day and I'm at a loss here. You guys are an awesome wealth of information so any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I will help anyone I can as well and post results. Here's where I stand, I have 4 1204D Powerbass subwoofers 300rmsX4 and a Pioneer GM-D9601 Amp Rated at 1200rmsX1@1ohm. The amp is a mono but has two sets of speaker outputs, which I have never seen before but I believe I can wire 2 dvc 4ohm subs in parallel to one speaker output and repeat to the other. Please correct me if I'm wrong. That should give 1200rms to the 4 subs. I am completely lost on what type of box to build. I am thinking 1" MDF with proper bracing to 10 cu ft. The site says subs should have 2.5 cu ft. each. The site also says port should be on same side as the subs. Does anyone know why they would say that? I have an 03 trailblazer and you guys really make me want to build subs up port back. Their site recommends not do that. I know I have a budget system but I love to slam and I think this can if I do it right. I finally appreciate and understand the importance of a box. I listen to a lot of decaf and SNT type music. I love Deep violent lows :) (just so you know what I'm going for) My last question is port tuning powerbass tells me to tune at 34hz and set subsonic to 37. The sub is rated 31-500hz. If subsonic set at 37, I wont be able to play below 37 correct? If sub is rated to 31 couldn't I subsonic 31 and tune to 32? Any help is greatly appreciated. I have hooked up many systems but never budget stuff and just really trying to get the most out of it. This will be my first box build. I respect and appreciate you all and would really like to get some feedback somewhere I trust. Thanks in advance  

https://powerbassusa.com/products/mobile-audio/s-1204-d-12-subwoofer/ This is link to my subs

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Amplifiers/GM+Digital+Series/GM-D9601#specs This is link to my amp

2003 Chevy Trailblazer (not ext)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well your probably going to want a different amp. That amp does 1200 at 1 ohm. Your subs can only be wired to 2 ohms or .5 ohms. And I'm pretty sure that pioneer isn' gonna take .5 ohms. So 2 ohms and 800 rms.

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

14 hours ago, YukonXL04 said:

Well your probably going to want a different amp. That amp does 1200 at 1 ohm. Your subs can only be wired to 2 ohms or .5 ohms. And I'm pretty sure that pioneer isn' gonna take .5 ohms. So 2 ohms and 800 rms.

2 dual 4 ohm subs can be wired to 1ohm.

Well That blows, So I need a different Amp. Thank you for clearing that up.

My last question is port tuning powerbass tells me to tune at 34hz and set subsonic to 37. The sub is rated 31-500hz. If subsonic set at 37, I wont be able to play below 37 correct? If sub is rated to 31 couldn't I subsonic 31 and tune to 32? 

If you set your subsonic to 37 it will not play below 37 and you’re definitely gonna want to play below 37. If you like violent lows, tune around 30 and you should be golden. Also, it would be recommendation to buy a amp with some headroom, for 2 reasons. 1 being you’ll have enough power for upgrades in future or more of the same subs you have, and 2 because of accounting for impedance rise. A nice Korean board amp at .5 with supporting electrical in your vehicle would be great. Be sure to give it enough port area! Very important. If it were me I’d go for at least 16” or more port area per cubic ft NET. Good luck

Thanks for that info. I have corrected the amp issue I will now be using a kicker amp rms 1200@2ohms. My friend had that lying around. If the sub is rated 31-500hz that means I have to set the subsonic at 31 right? or am I wrong about that? I'm thinking I will tune to 32 with subsonic at 31 if that's the best my subs can do. If you guys say I can go lower I'd love to without destroying subs constantly. My box will be 10 cu. ft. so I need a port area something like 10"X16"? with a depth of 31.67 according to this link. I really appreciate the replies and will keep checking back.

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

I spoke with a tech at powerbass, he said the free air res. of this model (S1204D) is 32 and they recommend tuning to 34 with subsonic at 32. He also said tuning the box to 32 wouldn't gain anything. Can anyone verify that being true/untrue? I am really trying to figure this out, building my box next weekend. Is there a way to know how low you can tune and where to set subsonic to get the best lows possible and not blow them. I understand some TS and some of the spec meanings but not sure how to know how low I can possibly tune for these subs and where subsonic needs to be. box will be 10cu ft with a massive port

Heres a link to my subs again

https://powerbassusa.com/products/mobile-audio/s-1204-d-12-subwoofer/

I’m not going to say the the guy at powerbass told you anything wrong but if it were me, I’d tune around 33 to 34 and set your subsonic to 28. I believe it’s a rule of thumb to set it a half octave below tuning, 28 is always a safe bet unless your tuned much lower whereas you’d want to play lower than 28. Remember, subsonic filter is where it will cut out attenuate anything at or below where it’s set so the sub doesn’t lose control/unload. 

Archived