Second Skin Audio

any difference between sub location inside a ported box?

akuma4u

6pakqp.jpg

is there any difference in any way, between the location of the sub in pic A vs B? A being sub infront of a port panel and B being infront of the port open air entrance.

Would they both produce same results? if no, then what would be different between the two?

The pic makes it look like there is a lot of space between the magnet and panels but in reality The actual clearance between the port panel and back of sub magnet is 1-2 inches only ,. so keep in mind if i choose to run the B design with sub location in the open area then it will be 1-2 inches directly infront of the port entrance.. would this be blocking airflow? or would it be ok?

thank you

I'm just recalling what i think i remember others saying about this, might not be using the correct terms though.

I believe A is the way you want it as it "uses" the volume of the enclosure better, B has more of a chance of causing the sub to unload.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

Interesting... Makes me wonder what happens with boxes that have the port 2 / horizontal port piece that is so small (like under a few inches) that you have no choice but to place the sub in a position like example b. 

I was designing my boxes with port on one side and sub on opposite side like diagram b..i guess i should stop doing that? 

Would love to hear some of the pros take on this *cough triticum and joe x cough*

I’ve also thought about this lately. 2 of my most recent sub enclosures I’ve built , I went with option A , so that the sub wasn’t directly in front of the end area of the port. Just made more sense to me to put it where it had the panel behind it .

1 hour ago, anr102990 said:

I’ve also thought about this lately. 2 of my most recent sub enclosures I’ve built , I went with option A , so that the sub wasn’t directly in front of the end area of the port. Just made more sense to me to put it where it had the panel behind it .

im sure your boxes ended up sounding right, but then again to be fair, you dont have one that has the sub in the B position to compare so i guess you will never truly know..

BUT yes it does make sense theoretically with what markous said and also because you want the port entrance to be wide open for proper air flow. you dont want a big ass magnet in the way.  However, sometimes you have no choice due to depth issues of the sub and box etc and you have to place the sub in that area, which is exatly what happened with me.. i dont have a box built with sub in the A diagram position so i can not compare A vs B but my next box will be built A style but i only have like 2.25 inches between the magnet and port panel piece.. i hope thats enough..

Also, i have seen many many boxes that either do have the sub in the open area, or are half way in the open area and half port panel piece, or some subs are just in the open area by default since the port 2 piece is only like 2 inches.. so i guess all those type of boxes have issues with proper loading?

• 2 weeks later...

Those vids are pretty cool, no doubt that every single little thing changes the acoustics to some degree whether just barely measurable or completely audible. I would think though that you would want the sub in the optimal location for it to be able to load off of or build pressure rather than pushing the pressure directly into the port end before its compressed? Does that make sense?

Anr  that does make sense. I think it's better to not have the magnet of the sub directly at the mouth of the port. Aside from the cooling effect of the wind blowing directly on the voice coil, I think it's better to have the driver away from the inside port mouth. I think that uses the box volume as a compression chamber more efficiently as a whole as opposed to part of the rear pressure wave of the driver going directly into the port while compression and rarefaction is going on at the same time in the box. I may be talking out my ass but that's just my opinion. So much though that I actually plugged the 18 inch hole of my last box (with the actual 18 inch disc I cut out) when I realized my port was gonna have to make a corner, added another baffle over the hole and made a new 18 inch hole as far away from the port mouth as possible. It works great. 

Archived