Sundown Audio

3 ohm speakers on a 2 ohm stable amp...

DiBo

Recently took out the factory 8" subs from the rear deck lid of my 2004 Nissan Maxima and I added 6×9's. Already have 4×6.5" speakers in all the doors ( infinity Primus 3 ohms) so I unhooked the rear doors  when I installed the 6×9's. Now they're jus chillin lol. If I tied in to the front speakers, also 3 ohms, what final impedance does that make? Amp is an Orion xtr 1000.4 2 ohm stable. 6×9's are infinity kappa 2 ohms. I wanna run all 6 speakers. 

25 minutes ago, DiBo said:

I couldn't run 4×6.5 on channel 1&2 and the 6×9's on channel 3&4? Even if I got 4 ohm door speakers to make a final impedance of 2 ohms? I would really need another amp? 

if you do it that way, then it's not "tied in to the front speakers" like you said in your first post. they would be on different channels, which is in line with what Robert said.

12 hours ago, Robert8252 said:

Should never mix different speakers on an amp channel.

Two 3 ohm loads in parallel would be around 1.5 ohm. 

When you say different speakers do you mean putting the 6×9 and 6.5 on the same channel or putting 2×6.5 on the same channel? Wouldn't 2 4 ohm speakers be the same as a dvc 4ohm speaker? Trying to learn here. My bad if I'm being redundant. Also I understand that dropping an amp under it's recommended ohm load can fry the amplifier but the amp is 1000 watts RMS and my speakers all only handle around 100 watts ( 110 watts 6×9, 80 watts 6.5). Amp has plenty of power. Not opposed to rolling the dice on a $280 amp. I'm from Vegas baby!! 

Archived