Sundown Audio

Sundown U series 12 mini review

I had the chance to pick up a new sundown u series 12 d2 last week. Drove down to buffalo from toronto to grab it to save on shipping. 

Before leaving i removed my sa12 from its enclosure which was about 1.85 net tuned to 34hz with 26 sq inches of port area. When i got to buffalo i put the U 12 into the same box roughly now giving it 1.8 cubes and 35hz or so and 2000rms

I didnt pound on it for a few days to allow break in..(if that even exists) after a few days i got home and started giving it more and more.

I am very pleased. Visually and audibly Its like an sa12 but on steroids. Id say its very close to a zv3 in terms of sound and output but much cheaper. Maybe like a zv3 jr. Size wise, weight wise and visually its right in the middle of the sa12 and zv3. Those 3 subs are like brothers.

Hits hard and has a classic bass sound. Wish i had space to run 2 of these. Sundown did a great job designing these. It sounds fantastic. Very happy i picked one up. Totally worth the drive. 

Will soon put it in a 1.7 to 1.75 net box with 39 sq inches of port. Hopefully that enclosure will make this sub come alive even more. 

I highly suggest this sub and if you are thinking of getting an sa12 set up its worth the extra 150 or so to upgrade to these instead trust me! 

Edited by akuma4u
  • Like (+1 Rep) 4

No info or specs  on there site , Do they work in sealed enclosures.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

2 hours ago, Ron36 said:

No info or specs  on there site , Do they work in sealed enclosures.

Too early for sundown to release box specs and full ts parameters. Ive been dying to know as well.  Only thing i was told is that these will work in the same enclosure that you would use for a sa and zv3.. I am assuming it would work in sealed box as both those subs will as well. 

Im currently using it in a 1.8 or so 34hz 26 sq in port area slot box.  It sounds good but i think more port area will allow for more output..will know by monday night cant wait. 

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

• 2 weeks later...

I believe Jacob said on FB that for now the U series will have production split between the US and China until they get more parts to build them fully in house.

That 12 in the video was built in 'murica by the look of the packaging and that dust cap glue job ? tells me it was built on a Friday ?

• Haha (+1 Rep) 1

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

16 hours ago, Markous said:

I believe Jacob said on FB that for now the U series will have production split between the US and China until they get more parts to build them fully in house.

That 12 in the video was built in 'murica by the look of the packaging and that dust cap glue job 1f62c.png tells me it was built on a Friday 1f606.png

My sub was built in north carolina as they didnt receive any 12 d2s prebuilt from china. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Sub craze said:

How hard do the u series hit? Is there a significant difference between the u series and the sa series?

The SA 12s are STILL prob the best sub you could get at its price point however when compared to the U series..

yes there is a difference, they hit harder and take more power. As i stated before, its like an SA on steroids. With the release of these U series subs, it is my opinion and feeling that it officially and firmly places the SA series into the ENTRY level category (I know they were kinda already there but now its like official). For those looking to do a common dual 12 set up with the popular sa12s,. i would spend the extra money and upgrade to 2 12 Us instead,.. they will work in the same space/enclosure as the SAs but will require more power. End result will be totally worth it.

After getting this U sub I am now debating whether to keep my sa12 as a back up emergency sub or just sell it off..