dd1 distorts before signal detect

I have one of the first 4 DD-1s made, it has nothing to do with its age.
If you never replaced the battery you should do that. I change mine on all my smd tools every 6-8 months to be sure they are good.

If you have it laying around in your truck, the actual harness for the dd-1 could have been damaged. 
I would try it using rca cables running from an aftermarket radio and if its fine with that then its something with your stock radio or the processing its doing so I would try a different output on it.

6 hours ago, Robert8252 said:

I have an original DD1 and have only replaced the battery once. Not saying the battery isn’t the issue. Make sure your ground is good, how are you connecting the speaker wire to the DD1? Have you tried switch polarity of the wire to the DD1?

If you mean testing both wires coming from that one speaker I have done that with no luck I use the gator clip and probe that came with it. I have a ground that goes directly to the battery under the hood that's where I'm grounding the dd-1

4 hours ago, audiofanaticz said:

I have one of the first 4 DD-1s made, it has nothing to do with its age.
If you never replaced the battery you should do that. I change mine on all my smd tools every 6-8 months to be sure they are good.

If you have it laying around in your truck, the actual harness for the dd-1 could have been damaged. 
I would try it using rca cables running from an aftermarket radio and if its fine with that then its something with your stock radio or the processing its doing so I would try a different output on it.

When I said I've had it in my truck I didn't mean like it was rolling around and putting stuff on top of it. I ment it was in one of the cubby holders with the leads wrapped around itself. I was thinking maybe the heat got to it beeing in there for a few years. I did try using the rca coming out of the lc2 and with no luck. Signal light comes on but the 1khz never does but at 40 does the same thing but at max volume the blue light turns on

i might add that I've never used the DD-1 at 1khz. i have used it only for bass amps at the 40hz. i used it on my Lincoln, sequoia, my brother-in-laws tahoe, and most resent my brothers truck. they all have had aftermarket stereos this is the first time im using it for a stock head-unit and at 1khz. thanks for all yalls reply's and trying to figure this thing out. im going to get the DD-1 and CC-1 combo as soon as they come back in stock.

Edited by dyablo409

If your aftermarket radio is putting out a distorted signal before the lc2, then it will be no change in testing after the lc2. Testing using the rca plug on a system that you already are not sure of is doing no good.

You need to test it on something that you know is good, dont matter if its your bass amp in another vehicle or not, if the meter is broke then it wouldnt work, if its good then it wouuld work and then you would know the issue is the other vehicle. Hell you can plug the dd-1 leads into a home receiver speaker outputs and test it that way.

A lot of new vehicles have crazy processing and preset crossovers you cant do nothing about.
For all you know that dash speakers may crossed over by the factory above 1khz and thats why you cant get a 1khz light. Wouldn't be the first time, wont be the last.

As for trying to get the 40hz light to come on while hooked up to the dash speakers its not going to happen because again the dash speakers are internally crossed over to not play below a certain frequency to prevent distortion and sounding like shit.

This is the way the automotive industry has been doing it for a long time and why your best way about adding additional amplification to a vehicle is by using some sort of processor and tap off each and every speaker to give the processor a full frequency bandwidth that it can sum together.

Gone are the days of running a hi/low converter and getting a full bandwidth signal from 1 speaker.

• Thanks (+1 Rep) 1

I tried it on my brothers truck same thing distorts before picking up 1khz and 40hz settings are flat no bass boost no hpf. He has a pioneer avh-2400bt. i tied the probe on the rca i tried putting the rca into the DD-1 i also tried it on my old sequoia before i left back out of town and its doing the same thing.  im sure i have a broken DD-1 at this point. I'm not in any kind of way trying to say that these tools are not good i used it for many years with out a problem. So for right now i'll just have to wait till they come back in stock to pick up the combo. 

thanks for all yalls help very much appreciated. this place is what makes me keep on coming back to car audio because i was out the game for about 4 years now. 

58 minutes ago, dyablo409 said:

20180319_191208[1].jpg

20180319_191138[1].jpg

mine distorted before signal was caught and would randomly turn off.  Tony took care of me though.  

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

I feel like yall are getting the wrong signal. I did not create this thread to see if i could get a hand out of any sort. I just thought I was doing somthing wrong and wanted others opinions and or different ways of testing to see if it worked or not.