Sundown Audio

Xtr 2500.1 half ohm?

DiBo

18 hours ago, Ron36 said:

Why not just buy another xtr 2500 and run 1 to each sub

I bought a dual 4 and planned on running 2 with the Orion until u was told that the 1500 rms rating was laughable... "More like 2250-2500 easily". That's a quote from someone experienced so I took it at that. Thinking about getting dual 2's and going for it. Maybe re cone the dual 4. Learning car audio at an enthusiasts level. Lol. Gotta pay ? to play!! 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, AlpineNut said:

Unless the amp is rated on the sheets to do it, it is not advisable, it might cause it to go bad alot quicker then it was intended to like over clocking a CPU or GPU on a computer it will wear it down faster or possibly fry it sooner then youd expect!

From my understanding no amp is rated to handle .5 ohm. Not even Sundown apparently. They said people do it anyway but they don't warranty them. Also said there's no way for them to know. Haha. B2 audio warranties their amps at .5 I guess with proof of proper electrical and installation. That's awesome!! My Navigator might get an M15 Raven

17 hours ago, Kyblack76 said:

Ill only run a board lower. That said, you better be ready for anything negative to happen. Be prepared, and dont whine and bitch of something does happen. Its proven, longevity will be comprimised, but, im willing to accept that. Counting on "rise" is, well, what it is, but, i like getting power out of my boards, always have strong as fuck electical. And have still nuked some boards. Its the game. I say do it. ... just dont complain in 4 months if it goes tits up.  

Thanks for the experienced input. Sincerely appreciated. No pissing and moaning here about gaining experience the hard way. I WILL LEARN FROM EXPERTS EXPERIENCE AND MY OWN. Good with the bad. Thanks g. 

14 hours ago, Kyblack76 said:

Meh,... been running 6 4ks at .5 for 2 and a half seasons, .. No worries, not even concerned.  And we compete, and compete in brutal disciplines. The hardest in fact,,, long, low runs...

But, sure,,, I've seen a amp go down, 2 songs into be wired down. 

Heck at a competition I saw a PPI amp go up in smoke the moment he tried to burp the system.  The older style PPI not this joke PPI they are now!

73456w9vbwevsdb

sodtbsorutnvsd

sdtuspdun sd d

f gsdfiusd gdf n

If you try running that amp at 0.5 ohm, be vigilant with one or two fire extinguishers.  Would suck to fry your whip cus you didn't want to spend a few bucks more for something rated for such low impedance.  Buy two of those amps instead...and run 1 ohm load each.

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

1 hour ago, Crazy 8s Drums said:

BigDWiz ain't telling you no lies.

I wonder what makes certain amps, built at the same Korean build house, half ohm stable but not these? It's funny. I saw a video on you tube where a guy compared the soundqubed q series to the hifonics Brutus elite and it was the same amp! But let all the "experts" tell it and the soundqubed is .5 stable all day but the hifonics is garbage. ?

Hifonics is not garbage at all.  It is just that the particular amp you refer to is not the right one for your application.  I had a Hifonics Hercules fueling a 4ohm DVC 10" xtant  sub and that shit pounded out the jams all day and all night at 2 ohms...but would go into protect mode with a 2 ohm DVC speaker. (1 ohm parallel)

If the 'experts' comment was a backhanded slam at BigDWiz...you are way way way wrong brother...  BigD has probably more 200 kickass OG amplifiers of all brands and models...and is all over that stuff with his wizardry.

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

I don't consider myself an 'expert', per se...but I did work for MTX here in Phoenix A to the Z, making Thunder and Xtant amplifiers...in addition to having sold tons of killer car and home audio gear for years....and having had lots of my own gear in my cars.  I surely don't know it all, and my being out of the scene for a few years, I need to catch up with all this new stuff too.  The new gear is way more potent than the old gear and also represents a better value..more watts per dollar...but the amperage needed to drive that gear has not changed and the laws of physics regarding heat exchange and energy conversion has certainly not changed either.  A half ohm load with a crapload of power juicing it is always going to have big challenges.

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

4 hours ago, Crazy 8s Drums said:

Hifonics is not garbage at all.  It is just that the particular amp you refer to is not the right one for your application.  I had a Hifonics Hercules fueling a 4ohm DVC 10" xtant  sub and that shit pounded out the jams all day and all night at 2 ohms...but would go into protect mode with a 2 ohm DVC speaker. (1 ohm parallel)

If the 'experts' comment was a backhanded slam at BigDWiz...you are way way way wrong brother...  BigD has probably more 200 kickass OG amplifiers of all brands and models...and is all over that stuff with his wizardry.

I was speaking of the you tube comments after said videos. Nothing but respect to Mr DWiz

Archived