Sundown Audio

Xtr 2500.1 half ohm?

DiBo

4 hours ago, Crazy 8s Drums said:

I don't consider myself an 'expert', per se...but I did work for MTX here in Phoenix A to the Z, making Thunder and Xtant amplifiers...in addition to having sold tons of killer car and home audio gear for years....and having had lots of my own gear in my cars.  I surely don't know it all, and my being out of the scene for a few years, I need to catch up with all this new stuff too.  The new gear is way more potent than the old gear and also represents a better value..more watts per dollar...but the amperage needed to drive that gear has not changed and the laws of physics regarding heat exchange and energy conversion has certainly not changed either.  A half ohm load with a crapload of power juicing it is always going to have big challenges.

Thank you for your input. I'll listen to what everybody is saying. My question was literal not sarcasm. Trying to learn. All input is appreciated. 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I run my 5k amps at .3 for as long as I can remember, dont think they ever been wired to anything higher than .7, nor wired any lower than .18..........

They all lasted this long except for 1 which seemed to be a fluke because 1 day it worked then the next day it wouldnt turn on.

But then again 2009 and 2010 competitor team agreements I found not long ago shows my amps age.. So Id say that to be pretty good since they been stressed for 8-9 years, and when I say stressed I mean stressed from every which way.. the 4 amps dropping to mid 11 volts, or the pair of amps that got hammered at .18ohms with only 1 battery and the car not running dropping to 8 volts...

Granted they are Korean made amps as well, but its a well proven board design that 2 other companies are still using to this day why the brand Im using stopped using them years ago. So can said Orion handle this ehh no idea, maybe? 

39 minutes ago, audiofanaticz said:

I run my 5k amps at .3 for as long as I can remember, dont think they ever been wired to anything higher than .7, nor wired any lower than .18..........

They all lasted this long except for 1 which seemed to be a fluke because 1 day it worked then the next day it wouldnt turn on.

But then again 2009 and 2010 competitor team agreements I found not long ago shows my amps age.. So Id say that to be pretty good since they been stressed for 8-9 years, and when I say stressed I mean stressed from every which way.. the 4 amps dropping to mid 11 volts, or the pair of amps that got hammered at .18ohms with only 1 battery and the car not running dropping to 8 volts...

Granted they are Korean made amps as well, but its a well proven board design that 2 other companies are still using to this day why the brand Im using stopped using them years ago. So can said Orion handle this ehh no idea, maybe? 

Good info. Starting to wonder about 1.33ohm on 3 woofers with 2 of these strapped lol. Box rise and really strong electrical... Can't blame a noob for wondering haha

Get 2, run them to 2 subs at 1 on each.... 1 2500 even at .5 isn't enough anyways.

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

9 hours ago, YukonXL04 said:

Get 2, run them to 2 subs at 1 on each.... 1 2500 even at .5 isn't enough anyways.

Well, id venture a guess, that one at .5 would be very close power wise, to 2 at 1ohm.... ,. i bet it would be VERY close.  So, buying a entire board, to see basically the same power,... well, .... But, it would be "safer" for sure. 

People that run thier boards down, do it , because it works for making power. Look at me and Brian. And we have both been around for a while. Just sayin.

1 hour ago, Kyblack76 said:

Well, id venture a guess, that one at .5 would be very close power wise, to 2 at 1ohm.... ,. i bet it would be VERY close.  So, buying a entire board, to see basically the same power,... well, .... But, it would be "safer" for sure. 

People that run thier boards down, do it , because it works for making power. Look at me and Brian. And we have both been around for a while. Just sayin.

Probably fairly close. After rise and all that. But you guys do it with proven amps... I wouldn't hesitate one bit to run my DD m2a at .5, but I wouldn't do it with a pioneer amp...

Some amps gain a lot by wiring down, also seen some only make 100ish watts more from 1 to .5... 

Being that bigDwiz has tested this amp, and says don't run it .5 daily... should probably mean something.

And I have my eye on one of these amps too. Not like I'm dogging on it, I need more power for my 9500.

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

Great info. Going with 2 X's on 2 of these. Went to Fi audio yesterday and dropped a deposit on 4-15's for my new Navi build so now I'll get to see what wiring down does cause all four will be a .7 load I guess. Haha. Gonna run an Orion 12,500.1dsplx I'm thinking... ???

Archived