Alternator or Battery

I am about to start upgrading the power in my 2008 Honda Accord.  I am not planning a crazy system by any means, probably under 1,500 watts total.  I am going to change both the battery and the alternator as well as do the big 3.  My question is which is more important?  Large alternator (Mechman 170 amp, stock is 130) or big AGM battery?  The stock battery (Group 24F) is not a very common size, so finding a better drop in battery is not really easy.  I can build a tie down, and since I would be doing the big 3 the reverse polarity wont matter, but do I need to do all that for what I am planning?  Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on power delivery.

Thanks,

Sean

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just buy the biggest agm u can afford and put it in back as a reserve. With less than 1500 rms a upgraded alt can wait. Any agm will do. Try kinetik or xspower.

1500 Watts I wouldn’t replace the Alt just do a 2nd battery and watch your voltage.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Ya upgrading ya alt is more of a waste of $$ unless ya keeping the vehicle for ages, and when you sell the car ya surely cannot just rip it out and take it like you can the extra battery and then use it for another system.

73456w9vbwevsdb

sodtbsorutnvsd

sdtuspdun sd d

f gsdfiusd gdf n

So at approximately what power level is it a good idea to do an alternator?  About how much power will that 170A support (my stock unit being rated at 130A)?

I am having a strange problem with the car where it will very quickly turn 100% off (lights, engine, etc.) and then right back on.  Think of flipping a switch off then on.  The best I can figure it is likely a short in the battery, or possibly the alternator.  Since I was planning on doing a system soon anyway, I figured I should upgrade while I am in there if it is worth it.  That is why I was curious which is more critical for what I am planning instead of just blowing a bunch of money on this and not on the race car :)

Sean

A good starter and secondary battery should be fine for a smaller system. Big 3 helps as mentioned. Wife's Malibu running about 1600+ watts on the stock 150 amp alt with no issues on stock battery. Every electrical system is different. Budget friendly AGM battery's to start with and go from there IMO.

1 hour ago, BrokeEF said:

So at approximately what power level is it a good idea to do an alternator?  About how much power will that 170A support (my stock unit being rated at 130A)?

I am having a strange problem with the car where it will very quickly turn 100% off (lights, engine, etc.) and then right back on.  Think of flipping a switch off then on.  The best I can figure it is likely a short in the battery, or possibly the alternator.  Since I was planning on doing a system soon anyway, I figured I should upgrade while I am in there if it is worth it.  That is why I was curious which is more critical for what I am planning instead of just blowing a bunch of money on this and not on the race car :)

Sean

I agree with everyone else,.. just the biggest agm you can fit, and done. I highly doubt the entire car shuts off, because the voltage is low. Seems to me, it wouldnt start in the first place. (or, start back up, after shutting down).  I doubt the engineers would put in a "oh shit, voltage is low, .........hnmmmmm, better kill the entire car" .

Sounds like you got something else, big time, going on with that issue. 

If your dropping to 10volts U may need an Alt but more batteries will help also , your watts are fine for the power your gonna use.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Allow me to clarify a bit.  The car right now is 100% stock.  It IS turning off and on, but very randomly.  Looking around the internet it could possibly be any of the following;

Bad grounds
    I cleaned up the grounds the last time it happened and it was good for months
Internal short in the battery
Internal short in the alternator
Problem with ignition switch

There are some other ideas like bad ECU, bad fuel pump, etc. but those don't explain losing ALL power.  I have a feeling it is something in the battery, alternator,  or possibly the wiring.  As I said I have been planning on doing a system in the car anyway, and I figured if those are the possible issues I will just do them now and also be ready for a system.

It sounds like I should get that battery from the beginning of this post, upgrade the big 3, and do a new stock alternator and I should be good for a small system.  Hopefully that also fixes my problem at the same time.

Sean

Archived