Sundown Audio

Anyone here ever used the NVX MVPA4 Micro amp? Any good?

omnibus

6 hours ago, WalledSonic said:

High voltage transformers (center, near the terminals) and 35V rail caps (implying a relatively high voltage to the output of the speakers). 

Not sure where this nvx is made, but high voltage guts is one of many things the brazilians are doing to increase power in a small footprint. 

Wouldn't this have been something they could have made in the 90's or earlier? I'm reminded of one of the 90's MTX amps, I think it was the 2300 but dyno tests showed it could put out over 2k watts and it was very small for that amount of power. I always wondered why aren't all of MTX's amps from then on out that small or smaller? But I had an Elite in 2009 and it only put out 1500 watts at best and was 3x's the size of that old 2300...makes no sense to me. I'm really curious why that is.

2 hours ago, bcbrassard said:

Guts of the Skar amp look better than the NVX IMO. $119.00 on amazon

Yes it does. But it's also larger at 7.9 x 4.6 x 1.6 inches. I think that's pretty close to the size of my JL Audio MHX 280/4. Which is a fine, clean sounding amp n all but doesn't get very loud for 75 watts per/ch. But at least it's a nicer looking amp overall than the NVX and at least I've heard of Skar even though I've seen a lot of negative posts about them on one of these car audio forums, something about them stealing designs or had bad support or something? 

On 3/23/2018 at 4:39 PM, bcbrassard said:

post a review after installed.

I will definitely try to do that.

22 hours ago, omnibus said:

Yes it does. But it's also larger at 7.9 x 4.6 x 1.6 inches. I think that's pretty close to the size of my JL Audio MHX 280/4. Which is a fine, clean sounding amp n all but doesn't get very loud for 75 watts per/ch. But at least it's a nicer looking amp overall than the NVX and at least I've heard of Skar even though I've seen a lot of negative posts about them on one of these car audio forums, something about them stealing designs or had bad support or something? 

I heard pretty similar things about Skar lol, but that was a long time ago.

ive never heard anything negatively about the performance of their products really, I remember when they first came out, my cousin bought a full setup consisting of 2 of their 12” subs and one of their Skar amps and it sounded pretty amazing.

So I got the SK M4004D on Monday(Couldn't believe I got it that fast but I am only like 6 hours away from Tampa so it makes sense.)

Installed it that same day and was immediately happy with the sound it produces. In comparison, the previous amp was a Precision Power PC250. I was running it at 2 ohms, so it was doing 100x2, sounded pretty good too but the Skar is noticeably louder. Sounds a bit cleaner too, but that may have something to do with how I had the headunit settings set. Once I get better components everything should sing like a bird. Currently running some old mis-matched components I had laying in the garage from previous builds lol.

For $128 I'm happy, seems like SoundQubed has a nice mini amp as well, there's a amp dyno test on it in this section. Definitely not smaller than the NVX one though.

I was thinking about purchasing another mini amp for the bass but I'm gonna keep it simple and keep using this precision power pc250. It's been going strong for 10 years now ha.

That skar amp should give years of good service too. Ive had my skar lp amps in my durango for over 2 years played almost daily and have never had a single issue. Plan on upgrading my aq sdc2.5 12 soon with a skar evl 12 so ive been lookn at the rp series. They look nice as well.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/23/2018 at 6:50 PM, omnibus said:

Wouldn't this have been something they could have made in the 90's or earlier? I'm reminded of one of the 90's MTX amps, I think it was the 2300 but dyno tests showed it could put out over 2k watts and it was very small for that amount of power. I always wondered why aren't all of MTX's amps from then on out that small or smaller? But I had an Elite in 2009 and it only put out 1500 watts at best and was 3x's the size of that old 2300...makes no sense to me. I'm really curious why that is.

I wonder the same thing.  On the surface, it doesn't seem like there's anything particularly high tech going on here.  I suspect it comes down to better quality internal components (less heat) at marketable prices.  I bet it's one of those things where we had the technology in the 90's, but who would've paid $5000 for an amp the size of a deck of cards?  I'm guessing, though.  I really wonder what is the "change" that made this all feasible.

It would be my opinion that using these tiny but high output amps may not be the best choice for car audio amplifiers.  The tiny heatsinks aren't going to be able to wick away the heat produced under demand and this would be even more pronounced come summertime.  It gets mighty fgn hot in the car in the summer...and if the amp can't shed all that heat it is going to croak.

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

35 minutes ago, Crazy 8s Drums said:

It would be my opinion that using these tiny but high output amps may not be the best choice for car audio amplifiers.  The tiny heatsinks aren't going to be able to wick away the heat produced under demand and this would be even more pronounced come summertime.  It gets mighty fgn hot in the car in the summer...and if the amp can't shed all that heat it is going to croak.

If the components are efficient enough they will send power to the speakers, instead of making heat.  It would be good to see a test of one of these running for a few hours, locked in my car here in Flizzorida.

Archived