Adding a router to Comcast's Modem (that already has a built in wifi router)???

I've been renting the arris tg862 from Comcast for the past 2-3 years but the house always has problem with the Wifi signal. The smart phone / tablets devices has trouble getting a stable connection to the arris tg862.

I've recently bought this "smart router" (NETGEAR R6700 Nighthawk AC1750 Smart Dual Band WiFi Router (R6700):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R2AZLD2/

and I have it connected to my arris tg862 modem.

Will this fix the wifi connectivity issue in my home as long as I connect all of the devices to its '5g' connection?

In addition, ever since I've added this new router, the old wifi connections for the arris tg862 can still be access... is this normal? I just want to make sure I have everything connected correctly or if I'm using the correct hardware setup.

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

If you have an all in one cable modem/wireless router, it will still be enabled if you plug a new router into a port on the back. It really doesnt know what your plugging into it.

You would have to go into the all in one units settings and disable that wifi if you dont want it showing up. depending on the brand the ip will change so you will have to google the brand, but it will be something like 192.168.1.1 (which is linksys) then enter a username and password, if you never changed it you may need to leave it blank and login or the username and password maybe admin for both.. Hard to say since these are different with every brand...

As far as connectivity issues... Hard to say as well

Aftermarket should be better, but location is KEY!

That being said, 5ghz has a shorter range than 2.4ghz. Where as 2.4ghz gets slower the farther you go from it, 5ghz is similar but once you reach that one spot its game over.
A lot of times changing the channel to something that does not have a lot of noise in the area can boost the range a lot since its not interfering. 
There was an app you could download on your phone and see existing wifi signals in your area and what channels its on so you can set your network up for the best performance.

You should be good to go with that setup. But you tell me if it fixed your connectivity issues, since it's all hooked up you should know by now. Lmao 

Yes it's normal for for both to have access to internet.  (You should be able to disable the modems wifi if you wanted, as long as new router is hardwired to modem)

2-3 years you've been renting that thing!? Go buy a modem. You could have bought several buy now for what you've been renting one for all this time.

I just put my comcast modem into 'bridge mode' so that it disables its built in wifi features. So now I'm just connected to my router's wifi. We'll see over these next few days if it helps with my wifi signal. I've tried changing the frequencies to different ones in the past to no avail. My house is next to the power lines so maybe this is causing a lot of interference in my house. I get like 1 bar on my T-Mobile for phone reception in my house.

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

Arris routers are garbage. We have suddenlink here and they use those routers and the hitron ones. When we had the arris the wifi was horrible. If you went more than 15 feet from the router it wouldnt work. Switched to a hitron one and fixed that issue. Shitty for us tho is i tried buying a good router to use and suddenlink service didnt recognize it. Have to use one of their routers only.

I use that router the way you wanna hook it up and it works fine.  

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

• 1 month later...

Go buy your own modem and enjoy not paying their rental fees and also get a speed boost.

Every time I have gotten rid of their cable modems\routesrs, Isee a speed increase (their modems and routers are crap!)

go buy this and all you will have to do is call them once to add your new modem to the account.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arris-surfboard-32-x-8-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-white/4600801.p?skuId=4600801

The problem is ya using a comcrap router and who knows what those things have been through, and having to rent them is stupid, hell Frontier allows you to keep the router after 1 yr and never charges a rental fee!

73456w9vbwevsdb

sodtbsorutnvsd

sdtuspdun sd d

f gsdfiusd gdf n

Archived