Second Skin Audio

Frequency Range of Subwoofers

I have 4 Powerbass 1204D 12" subwoofers which have a frequency range of 31-500hz and I'm building a custom box

Manufacturer recommends 10 cubic foot box (ported) tuned to 34hz subsonic at 37hz?? which confuses me?

My question is if I tune my 10 cubic foot box (ported) tuned to 32hz subsonic at 25hz. (24hz would be half an octave lower than tuning or the unloading point as I understand)

Will I be asking for trouble? or am I ok, I have done a lot of reading and still not sure on this topic

I like the lows, at the same time I don't want to toast my subs.

Any advice or input will be appreciated?

It depends on how much power you are running.  

I searched for Powerbass 1204D and there are bunch of different products lines (S-series, L-series, M-series), which one do you have?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

On 3/24/2018 at 3:28 PM, Wantin2DropCheap said:

I have 4 Powerbass 1204D 12" subwoofers which have a frequency range of 31-500hz and I'm building a custom box

Manufacturer recommends 10 cubic foot box (ported) tuned to 34hz subsonic at 37hz?? which confuses me?

10 cubes seems huge for 4 12's.  Subsonic needs to be set below tuning otherwise you will be killing your output around tuning which is where you get the most output.

On 3/24/2018 at 3:28 PM, Wantin2DropCheap said:

My question is if I tune my 10 cubic foot box (ported) tuned to 32hz subsonic at 25hz. (24hz would be half an octave lower than tuning or the unloading point as I understand)

Will I be asking for trouble? or am I ok, I have done a lot of reading and still not sure on this topic

I like the lows, at the same time I don't want to toast my subs.

Any advice or input will be appreciated?

You are going to have to play with it. It will depend on how you are using eq and bass boost; Also the slope of your lpf. I would start there and if notice the subs bottoming out or distorting then you should raise it.

Archived